HCGSU Pop Up Plaza: Build Yourself Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Company Name: Build Yourself Up

Company Date Founded: 2016

Interviewee name: Brittani Martin

Why did you start you company?

BM: It was a fear of mine to start a business, and I wanted to overcome that fear… the fear of rejection and people not really supporting it. 

Who inspired you to start your company?

BM: I don’t really have a specific person that inspired me to do it, I just wanted to do it to be an example. I have 5 siblings, and I wanted to show them and everyone really, that they can do anything they put their minds to. 

What is the purpose of your company?

BM: I wanted to bring the message of not being afraid, overcoming your fears, following your dreams, doing what you’re passionate about, promoting self motivation, and encouraging people to live life to its full potential. That is the key message of Build Yourself Up. 

In the process of building your company, what was one of the biggest obstacles you faced and how did you overcome it?

BM: When I first put out my brand, people were giving me feedback and a lot of their opinion, and it wasn’t all necessarily positive. The design I created was similar to a brand that’s already out on the market. I did follow behind that brand because I was inspired by them and I liked their clothing. But once people realized that and started looking at the message behind my clothing, they started to like it more. So definitely in the beginning it was difficult to sell my merchandise. It didn’t pick up until about 6 months after I started it. 

How did you deal with taking a nontraditional approach to your career?

BM: I had complete creative control of my brand which was a good thing, but it can definitely be overwhelming when you don’t have someone helping that cares about the brand as much as you do. My family has supported so much and helped me so much that it definitely made it all a worth while process. 

Where do you see Build Yourself Up going in 5 years?

BM: Basically I want to start a mentoring program. I want to completely turn Build Yourself Up into a non-profit organization and take the focus away from the fashion. Right now, the fashion is there to get people to understand the message. Once I feel like the brand and the message have been solidified and are out there in the open, I want to solely focus on Build Yourself Up being a nonprofit organization with a mentoring program, similar to a Boys and Girls Club. I envision a lot of different areas we can work with. One being the mentoring program, but I also wanted to do something where we bring in professionals that are financial advisors to teach students, especially those of African-American ethnicity, to understand finances and know what it is to save your money. Recreational wise, fitness wise… I want to make it a well-rounded academy. 

What advice would you give young entrepreneurs who want to pursue their own brand?

BM: I would definitely tell them to not be afraid and move out of their own way. A lot of times it’s us standing in our own way of being great. Really take a leap of faith and believe in yourself. And do what you’re passionate about. When you’re passionate about what you’re doing, it doesn’t feel like working. It feels like you’re doing what you’re supposed to be doing. 

Stay in touch with Brittani and Build Yourself Up on IG: @build.yourself.up. 

Kayla is a senior at Georgia State University, pursuing a degree in Multimedia Journalism and Spanish & Latin American Studies. She is a devoted mother to her Yorkie and Lifetime fanatic. Her other ventures include writing poetry, advocating for a plant-powered lifestyle, and interning at Seacrest Studios. Oh, and Willy's makes her world go 'round. ☼
The GSU chapter of Her Campus