This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

From the free-spirited and ahead-of-their-time feminist jams of the ‘60s and ‘70s to the alternative Riot Grrrls of the ‘90s, music has always been at the epicenter of women’s history.

Crowd of women, one holding a sign that says \"the future is female\"
Via Lindsey LaMont on Unsplash

Flash forward to today, and modern female artists are still pushing the envelope to share their voices and advocate for change. Spice up your daily playlist with some divine feminine energy. Here are five underrated girl groups and solo artists you should be listening to now. 

you are what you listen to
Unsplash

Camp Cope

Known for their both aggressively feminine and aggressively Australian indie rock, Camp Cope describes themselves as “three hurricanes from the bottom of the Earth” and a “power emo trio.”  Both their vocals and instrumentals are powerfully aching, and their honest lyrics cover everything from abusive exes, the sexism of the music industry, and mourning a loved one. 

Song to start with: “The Opener”

Sidney Gish

Sidney Gish’s DIY, self-released music is equally hilarious and painful as it is artful and fun. Fader described her music as “very serious about taking nothing seriously,” and it’s the truth. Her absolutely absurd lyrics–covering anything from calling herself a dog to carrying a zombie arm to prom–still manage to remain controlled and poignant overlaid atop a fun, jangly pop-rock.

Song to start with: “Imposter Syndrome”

The Coathangers

The Coathangers are an all-female garage punk group with catchy, sometimes politically-motivated scrappy tunes. Hailing from Atlanta, the group of friends played their first gig at a house party in 2006. Back then, it was “little more than a one-off excuse for a few friends to hang out and make some noise.” Now, after more than a decade together, they’ve graduated to having seven records, performing at Music Midtown 2019 and touring the world.

Song to start with: “Shut the F*** Up”

Kibi James

Diverse local girl group Kibi James are the self-proclaimed sweethearts of Atlanta. They make easy, breezy, and jazzy james with international influences, as the members hail from Mexico, Ethiopia, and Venezuela. Their muted vocals pair with experimental lo-fi ambiance and Latin flair to create a totally one-of-a-kind sound.

Song to start with: “Hi, How Are You?”

Rayana Jay

Rayana Jay’s velvety R&B, neo-soul sound is rooted in radical honesty, on topics from heartbreak to womanhood. Jay pulls inspiration from the likes of Amy Winehouse, Stevie Wonder, and Anita Baker. Her music is equal parts empowering and sensual, and she’s been a vocal opponent of capitalism and the oppression of both plus-sized and Black female artists. She even collaborated with ESPN and Disney to write “Undefeated,” an all-female production celebrating Black female athletes.

Song to start with: “Way Back”

Katie Burkholder is a third-year Georgia State student with a major in English: Rhetoric and Composition and a minor in Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies. She is an aspiring journalist, author, and/or literary publisher whose work has been published both in print and online. When she is not writing about women’s issues, environmental justice, or LGBTQ rights, Katie enjoys reading short stories, painting, and listening to music.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus