Fashion Week’s IT Girl: Lineisy Montero

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

At 19-years-old, model Lineisy Montero has left the fashion runways blazing with her fierce, fresh, and absolutely natural walk.The Santo Domingo native was discovered at an amusement park in the Dominican Republic and made her debut by walking Prada’s A/W 15 show. Headlines popped up everywhere, celebrating the natural beauty’s afro in the show.

Since first opening for Jason Wu in Fall 2015,  Montero has ripped 68 runways and counting in only the most exclusive powerhouse brands of fashion; Dior, Miu Miu, Alexander Wang, Diane Von Furstenberg, and Givenchy.

Lineisy Montero, who is now signed to NEXT models, is challenging the status quo of the typical fashion model. “I didn’t expect this impact,” she told Teen Vogue. “I am just Lineisy Montero, a young girl from Santo Domingo. My hair has never been a question, it’s always been natural. I didn’t do anything special except walking in the shows. I see now that is a big thing for the fashion industry so I am of proud of it. If it changes the mentality in the business for models like me I would be very happy.”

“I will just continue to be myself. I want to exist and be recognised for my work and who I am, not only because of my hair or my skin colour.”

Zimbabwean-American Journalism major at Georgia State University. Audrey Hepburn and pink enthusiast who's constantly dreaming of Breakfast at Bergdorfs. She lives in Atlanta with New York on her mind.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus