This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

The ‘Enchanting’ chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated held their second “King of the Ivy” male scholarship pageant on Nov. 3, and it was everything one could hope for and more. The pageant committee, including co-chairs Moya Leung and Jayda Sharpe, began event production six months in advance to create a flawless three-hour pageant. 

“So much goes into a pageant that people don’t get to see, it’s a lot to put on such a big production,” Leung said.

The event included every aspect of a traditional pageant: platform speeches, swimwear, talent, evening wear, and extemporaneous questions to see how well each contestant could think on their feet. Tony Betton Jr., Georgia State Alum, flew in from New York City alongside host and pageant committee member Destiny Collins, to entertain the crowd between sets and intermissions.

Georgia State’s Dance Ensemble performed an introductory performance. The African Student Association maintained the flow of the event during intermission. And just before the selection of 2019’s winners, Domenic Haynes graced the stage with an amazing song selection. 

MEET THE CONTESTANTS

Photo by Deanna Griffin  

Contestant #1:

Joseph Russell is a junior criminal justice major. His platform “A Helping Hand” aims to deter juvenile delinquency through outreach and mentorship. 

Russell performed a heart-wrenching piece in an ode to those incarcerated due to a lack of positive role models. His voice boasted with raw emotion and compassion so much so that it was evident Russell truly believed in the importance of his platform.

“I know that I can make a difference being that I can relate to people that are going through the same things,” Russell said.

Contestant #2:

Malcham Seales is a Junior religious studies major. His platform urged us all to visit our local detention centers to remember our disregarded brothers and sisters behind bars.

Seales was not only exquisitely poised during his performance but spoke with the fervor of a thousand Martin Luther Kings. He sang “How Great is Our God” while hitting notes most could only attempt in the shower. And if that were not enough, Seales bellowed into a saxophone just for good measure.

Contestant #3:

Bryson Moore is a bold freshman new to the Georgia State community. His platform “I.V.Y” (Influencing a Variety of Youth) embraces his humble background and the opportunities that afforded him the ability to uplift youth from similar backgrounds. 

Moore performed an electric solo drum performance complete with two equally energetic and talented backup dancers.

Contestant #4:

Marque Hill is a sophomore Real Estate and Finance Major whose platform was “HBCU Accepted, PWI Admitted.” He believes financial insecurity should not hold any student back from the experience of attending a historically Black college and vowed to award one prospective HBCU student with a $1,000 scholarship.

Hill paid homage to his fraternity Phi Beta Sigma and step team Peerless Perfection, in an intense step lesson for his talent portion. He could blink and the crowd would jump.

Contestant #5:

Cameron Reese is a junior finance major attending Morehouse College. His platform, L.O.V.E. (Listen, Observe, Value, Embrace), is geared towards mental health awareness and promoting the active form of love.

“Whether I win or lose, I want the audience to know love is essential,” Reese said. “Love can do so many things— just the presence of it can do so much to improve [someone’s]  mental health.”

Reese was regal, austere, and everything you’d expect to see from true royalty. 

Photo By Deanna Griffin  

Contestant #6:

Brandon Ogbu is a senior studying Computer Information Systems. His platform sought to further education in civic engagement and politics. He believes politics holds an immense amount of untapped potential among the youth, leaving corrupt leaders to cheat our governments.

“I want to start in Georgia, but I don’t plan on stopping in Georgia,” Ogbu said. As much as I talk about [corruption in] Nigeria, it’s very prevalent, and I feel like the change needs to start now so it can really start spreading.”

Ogbu’s Nigerian pride was evident as he used every opportunity he could to represent their dances. His supporters in the audience did not hold back as many others in the crowd commented on their desire for love and support as strong as Ogbu’s team.  

Contestant #7:

Kurtis Boyd is a freshman also attending Morehouse College. His platform, “Survive the Moment”, will teach young Black men their rights and train them on etiquette for encounters with the police. 

“A lot of black people get ‘the talk’ with their parents, but I started to think about all the young boys who didn’t grow up with that,” Boyd said. “I love the Black community. I love everything, Black. It’s my true love, it’s my true passion. I’m black every single day, 24/7.”

Boyd’s platform speech was met with an overwhelming standing ovation from the crowd due to his powerful performance. His passion bounced off the auditorium in waves one could physically feel.

Contestant #8:

Aubre Teal is a junior whose platform was dedicated to supporting fine arts programs in low-income neighborhoods. Teal explained that the inspiration for his platform came from the early nudge to be different when he didn’t aspire for the same athletic background as his brothers. He believes in embracing the individuality of the youth through arts to mitigate fear by cultivating creativity.

“Be yourself, because you don’t always have to fit in and not everyone’s going to like you and that’s not your issue. God didn’t create you to live for someone else.”

In his third pageant debut, Teal had the confidence and swagger to share with the entire room. His duet dance number and swimsuit competition was wildly invigorating as 

Contestant #9:

Marcus Powell, senior communications major spoke on behalf of the “Mistreatment Of Veterans Upon Return From War.” As a 4-year United States Army Veteran and the son of a Drill Sergeant, this platform was deeply personal for Powell.

Powell’s smooth and slow-paced stride ensured the crowd would not forget nor disregard his commanding presence. He performed a touching demonstration about the hidden truth of veteran maltreatment from veteran’s offices and prejudicial citizens upon arrival from the field.

Contestant #11:

Antoine Manning is a 3rd year drawing, painting and printmaking major here at Georgia State University. His platform uncovered the gruesome and unnecessary reality of Atlanta’s massive homeless population.

Manning’s undeniable grace and sultry demeanor left the crowd awestruck as his words flowed so smoothly they seemed to tell an ironic rhyme.

Manning said, “seeing a lot of them give it their all, doing their best and radiating their strengths, it inspires me to be stronger– it’s a brotherhood, so when I see them do good, it makes me want to do good,” in response to his reaction practicing alongside his competitors.

The majority of the contestants expressed the same sentiment and felt more-so inspired by their pageant brothers rather than threatened.

THE RESULTS

The contestants were judged upon the following criteria: Judge’s interview (20 pts), GPA (15 pts), swimwear/physical fitness (10 pts), Talent (25 pts),  Eveningwear (15 pts), and Extemporaneous Speaking (15 pts).

Courtesy of @etamu72

Mr. Congeniality Award: #11 Antoine Manning

People’s Choice Award: #9 Marcus Powell

Powell received the most pearls during the intermission where audience members voted for their favorite contestant.

Mr. Enchanting Award: #6 Brandon Ogbu

Ogbu was most favored during his preliminary interview with the judges.

Highest GPA Award: #2 Malcolm Seales

Second runner-up, Mr. Pink and Green: #6 Brandon Ogbu

Ogbu is the second runner up. He received a crown and sash to match his title and a hefty five-hundred-dollar prize with a donation to his charity of choice.

First runner-up, Mr. Eta Mu: #2 Malcolm Seales

Seales is the first runner up with a crown and sash to match. He will enjoy the spoils of an eight-hundred-dollar award and a donation to the charity of his choice.

First place, King of the Ivy: #4 Marque Hill

Hill walked away with the highest honor, a crown, a sash, and a 1,250 dollar scholarship. Hill also wins a donation to his charity of choice on behalf of the sorority.

“The best part is the contestants and their platform speeches. Sometimes I get teary-eyed just hearing how passionate and humble they are,” Leung said.

Thanks to the pageant committee, hosts, live entertainment, and Let the World See Productions for a successful and unforgettable event.

Georgia State University c/o 2021
The GSU chapter of Her Campus