This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Ever wanted to distress your own pair of jeans without having to spend tens of dollars on store bought jeans? Here are a six easy steps on how!

You’ll Need:                                                       

•   Scissors
  •   Pen
  •   Razor
  •   Shoe box
  •   A regular magazine 

Step 1:

•  First, choose a pair of jeans you don’t wear anymore or would like to distress
  •  Put the jeans on and mark with a pen the areas you wish to cut

Step 2:

• With the jeans on, start by marking below and above the kneecap
  • Remember this can range as high up or as low on the pants leg as you want

Step 3:

• Take the jeans off before cutting them *VERY IMPORTANT*
  • Place first pants leg on the shoe box in order to not damage surfaces
  • Then, put a magazine inside the pants leg so you don’t cut into the other side of the jeans

Step 4:

• Take a box cutter or scissors
  • Cut horizontal lines about a 1 ½ inches apart across the pants leg where you’ve marked
  • Do the same to the other pants leg

Step 5:

• Use scissors to distress other areas where you want cuts (you can cut as much or as little as you wan

• Take the razor and literally shave parts of the pants you want to look more worn out

• Cutting then shaving the bottom of the pants legs and pockets are the most common areas to distress

Step 6:

• Wash and dry the jeans
  • Repeat! (Yes, do it twice)

Dominique Regalado is a multimedia Journalism major at Georgia State University. When she is not running around campus, she is drowning herself in coffee or editing for Her Campus. Dominique enjoys reading, going out for food, and much more while spending all her money on retail. She aspires to be a journalist for a major magazine publication. Follow her on Twitter: @domregalado!
The GSU chapter of Her Campus