This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

If you have visited any social media platform (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, etc.) within the last 5 years, it is very likely that you are familiar with memes. If you know what they look like, then you know they can be funny, crude, and at times, downright ridiculous. But, what are they by definition?

According to the online Merriam-Webster dictionary, a meme is: “an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture.” The term comes from Richard Dawkins’ book The Selfish Gene (1976), where he describes a meme as “a unit of cultural transmission”.

Source: qz.com

Memes are often in the form of an image or a set of images divided into panels. Sometimes, an image isn’t even necessary to get the point across. Gifs that serve as memes and even reactions to memes are the new trend taking social media by storm. Expressions shown within a matter of seconds not only make memes more relatable, but they also make them funnier!

Source: giphy.com

Throughout the years, memes have undergone several transformations. Simple images with text on the top and bottom in 2010 are now distorted heavily edited images. This new version of memes can sometimes come without context, or be part of an inside joke that only certain audiences will understand.

Then:

Source: imgflip.com

Now:

Source: imgfip.com

The cool thing about memes is that they can be about nearly anything! From history, current events, and even old video references like the one below.

Source: zodab.com

Memes are more than just jokes that are shared and retweeted. They are, in an odd way, an outlet for news. Browsing through memes is also a great pastime, especially if you want to relieve stress.  If you want to see memes before they appear on your timeline, or just simply binge through them, check out the (free) mobile versions of iFunny and reddit.com in your phone’s app store.

Sophomore, Georgia State University. Major: Studio Art
The GSU chapter of Her Campus