Dear Diary: Why You Should Journal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Whenever someone thinks about writing in a journal, the first thing that comes to mind is probably a 15-year-old girl writing “Dear Diary” before gushing about her crappy day at school or the conversation she had with her crush. Even though we, as collegiates, are past those totally embarrassing days, our lives are constantly growing and changing. That is why we should start journaling again. There’s an endless amount of things we could write about on a daily basis, you just have to think about what you’d like to say. Writing is an important part of life. We’ve been writing since we were old enough to hold a pencil and even with the technological advances, physical writing won’t be going anywhere anytime soon. With our day to day activities, journaling is considered to be a great stress reliever but there are also other benefits to it that many don’t think about.

Are you the type of person that has a list of things you’re trying to accomplish but end up never getting everything done? Journaling can help keep you accountable. The key to completing your personal or daily tasks is to write them down. You know those “New Year’s Resolutions” that you make and fail to commit to every year? Go ahead and jot those goals down but if you really want to make them stick,  write about why you want to achieve those goals, how you’re going to approach them, and what you’re looking to reward yourself with after completing them.  

When life gets in the way, sometimes it’s hard to stay motivated and avoid pessimistic feelings. Journaling is a good way to give yourself mental clarity, especially during high stress or emotional situations. As college students, we’re constantly dealing with trying to balance studying, extracurriculars, friends, and even working part-time jobs. Somewhere down the line you’re bound to feel exhausted and will need to take a break from everything. It’s important that a person allows themselves to freely release their feelings in order to avoid emotional breakdowns that are typically so common amongst college students . Express yourself through your writing and allow your journal to become the companion you’ve never had.

Aside from the personal and emotional side of journaling, it can also help you professionally. We’re all in school to get a degree so we can go forth and hunt for our dream jobs, so it’s important that we remember to utilize the tips that we’re taught. According to the article, “6 Ways Keeping a Journal Can Help Your Career” from Forbes.com, it considers journaling to be the “easiest and cheapest form of professional development you can find”. It allows you to write down your ideas so you can reflect on them later and keep track of your experiences so you can learn as you move forward in your career. Life is about learning and developing. When you get your first or even fifth internship, you’re always going to be learning something new that’s apart of the job. Use your writing as a way to develop your skills and become more knowledgeable by reflecting on your personal progress in your interested field of work. Also, using your journal as a vision board to picture your future self and career is proven to give you an overall sense of optimism and happiness.

With all that being said, some of you might still be saying “I’m not a writer” or “I don’t even know where to start”. That’s perfectly fine, all you need is a notebook and pen: the options are endless, so choose what represents you the most. Your journal is yours to keep by your side, to confide in, and to use as a way to improve your overall well-being. There are no limits or guidelines – just start writing!

Ashley Mayo is a recent graduate Georgia State University with a Bachelor of Art in Journalism. She has a passion for reading self-help and fiction books, writing, women's health, and a large cup of caramel coffee. Her personal goals include discovering her purpose, loving herself, and having a happy, fulfilling life.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus