This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Name: David Stroup

Age: 18

Hometown: McDonough, GA

Class: Freshman

Major: Music

Relationship Status: In a relationship

Instagram: @davidstroupjr

Why did you choose Georgia State?

I chose Georgia State because of it’s location in downtown Atlanta. I want to get involved in the music industry and Atlanta seems like the place to do that.

What are you involved in at GSU?

I am currently involved in the School of Music band programs, including the Panther Band, which is GSU’s marching band. I am also a membership candidate of the Kappa Kappa Psi Band Fraternity and a member of the Georgia State University saxophone studio with Dr. Jan Baker.

What is your favorite thing about marching band?

My favorite thing about marching band has been the relationships I have made with people. I’ve made lifelong friends through marching band. I started doing marching band in ninth grade and it is such a rewarding activity. I’ve gone to competed in several competitions, including the Bands of America Super Regional Competition in Atlanta. We even made finals once, which is really hard to do, so I am so grateful to have experienced that. I’ve also been able to travel through marching band, including going to London in high school and Orlando over the break with the Panther Band. My senior year of high school, I was in the WGI Winds group. It is kind of like marching band, but indoors. 2015 was the inaugural year and I was able to go to the world championship in Ohio. My group from school won first place in Scholastic Open Class. Marching band and even WGI Winds is hard work, but rewarding and it is something that I enjoy so much. We have ten to twelve hour rehearsal days, but in the end, when we have our show down, it is rewarding and fulfilling.

How long have you been playing music?

I have been playing music since I was in the 6th grade. I joined my middle school’s band and orchestra and this is where I began playing the saxophone and violin.

Describe your personality.

I like to think of myself as friendly and humble.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?

If I could travel anywhere in the world, I would travel to Sydney, Australia. I have always had an interest in traveling there.

Why Sydney?

I’d go to Sydney because I think it would be cool to see the Sydney opera house and see the beaches.

What is your dream?

My dream for my career is to own and operate a recording studio that will produce artists into the world of music.

Speed Questions:

Celebrity crush?

Tori Kelly

If you could eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?

I don’t know. I like food too much.

What is your favorite color?

Purple

Favorite artist at the moment?

Ed Sheeran

I currently work with iHeartMedia in digital content and on-air, and run a lifestyle blog. I am a first-generation college graduate with degrees in journalism and film media from Georgia State University. In college, I served as a production assistant for GSUTV; senior editor, social media coordinator and staff writer at Her Campus Georgia State (an online magazine for college women); Vice President of Communications for the Gamma Sigma chapter of Alpha Omicron Pi; and interned with The Adam Bomb Show (a nationally-syndicated night radio show) and The Bert Show (a nationally-syndicated morning radio show). I also secured a spot at Cox Media Group's Day in the Life program, where I presented a presentation to Cox Media and AJC executives on how to increase the AJC's digital audience. I am a member of the Alpha Omicron Pi Women's Fraternity, Society of Professional Journalists, the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, Order of Omega Honor Society, and the Atlanta Press Club. I also run a lifestyle blog that I started in 2015 where I talk about beauty, college, relationships, health, and just navigating life. You can join my little internet family here: www.amandadalvarado.com
The GSU chapter of Her Campus