Culture > News

Colin Kaepernick Revealed as The New Face of Nike

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

As if the signature swoosh was not enough to get your attention, Nike continues to shake the table when it comes to getting the job done right. To our surprise, the multi-billion dollar brand revealed to us on August 4, that Colin Kaepernick has been quietly working with the company on rolling out a new campaign targeted to his social justice efforts.

In early 2016, Kaepernick made it publicly known that he would oppose the face of police brutality and senseless killings of black men and women by taking a knee in place of the national anthem. In a matter of months, this riled up the activists’ former NFL team enough to cut him from the roster and subsequently making him a free agent.

Source

Aside from being called radical, disrespectful, “too this” or “too that”, it is clear that Kaepernick won in the end.

For the last several days, the major athletic brand has been rolling out its new social media campaigns and to our surprise there was a major moment in the works that appeared several times on your social media feed. After seeing Serena Williams and LeBron James over the course of the last six months, Nike let us know that they had one more special surprise that came in the form of Colin Kaepernick.

Source: Unknown

However, not everyone is happy with the brands choice.

In this ad we get up close and personal as his face commands not only attention but words that read, “Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything.” This was a sacrifice well made Colin.

Source

Even with those inspiring words, many around the country have found enough hate in their hearts for a man they once called a football hero. It did not take long for people to cut the ‘swoosh’ from their socks, burn their apparel or publicly detest the brand and Colin for using someone as “radical” as him.  

While it is unfortunate that many Nike lovers feel betrayed, there is a light in this that comes from the support of those directly and indirectly affected by police brutality. Nike has given Colin not only a new platform to discuss the important of why he kneels, but also opens the door for more transparent conversations to happen around the thoughts and feelings of the new ad.

Cydney Maria (Rhines) is a creative writer, journalist and photographer located in Atlanta, Ga. She is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and english. She coins her brand as something curated beautifully for those who may not feel that beauty. Her main focus is mental health, social issues, digital design and of course the beauty of black girl magic. Her main goal is to constantly write creative content that fills a need. She is currently published accross multiple platforms and looks to continue her current level of work after she graduates from GSU. Check this creative out!