Co-Correspondent Miche’ Thomas ’18: A Behind the Scenes Exclusive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Sophomore Miche Thomas has just taken a seat next to Krystal Douglas as Co-CC for our wonderful HCGSU chapter; and she is not taking her newly awarded position lightly. She has proven to be hardworking, sensitive (when it comes to her team), all while still keeping up with her grades. How does she do it? Faith, prayer, and hard work, can get you through anything claims the 18 year old go-getter! Wise beyond her years, she’s ready to take on the world. Strap in, and read more about this driven young lady! 

Classification: Sophomore 

Major: Double major in Marketing and Managerial Sciences 

Birthday: September 6th 

Sign: Virgo 

Instagram/Twitter: @simplymiche_

So with your new position and a new term for us all, what are your intended goals for this semester?

I really plan on achieving all A’s and keeping my GPA up, because school is first–it is always important. And, secondly, I want to branch out and find internships and build my “brand”, while breaking into the career I plan to pursue. As far as Her Campus GSU, I want to continue the vision that Ashley and Chinelo had for Her Campus GSU when they first started it. I want to see us expand and really become a popular name around campus, to see our events continue to get bigger and our online publication become a top read among students. 

That sounds like a plan. What exactly is the career you want to pursue?  

I plan to be a top Trademark and Patent attorney.

How did you get involved with Her Campus? 

I’ve been reading Her Campus since I was in high school and I was really intrigued by it so I always followed up with whatever was going on with it. One day I was in the library with a friend and I found out that there was a chapter coming to GSU and I was estatic. Long story short, I emailed Ashley about joining, filled out the application, was picked, and now, here I am!

Funny how you can just miraculously have your dreams come true! I can only imagine that you have enjoyed your journey with Her Campus; what has been your favorite moment? 

I would have to say that planning Pink Week Fall 2015 was definitely one of the best moments I’ve shared with my team. Having that experience allowed me to plan out and visualize what the week would be and to think outside of the box, which helped bring forth a successful outcome. I look forward to planning it once again this semester. Make sure to tune in! 

Besides Her Campus, what is the best aspect of attending GSU? 

I love the endless opportunities at an institution like GSU and I love the uniqueness of this historic city!  It always inspires me when I walk past office buildings on the way to class. It makes me think, “Hey, maybe one day I will be working there.” It just makes it seem as if I’m that much closer to my dreams, and if I don’t make it out here, it’s no one’s fault but my own.  

Aside from having graduated from Georgia State, how do you picture yourself in 10 years? 

Well, I’m 28 years old [we both laugh], I have graduated from Law School, my career is lifting off faster than anyone can catch up –  working hard and playing even harder (with the man of my dreams). I also will be living near my parents. My parents are truly my best friends and I am a ride or die Daddy’s Girl, so living near them is my life long dream. It is a must.

So who would you pinpoint as influencers in your life? 

My parents and my little sister come first. They are my rocks. They support me through anything and everything that I do. They are the motivating forces in my life and are a big part of the reason why I work so hard. My Granny and Papa, even though they aren’t still there here with me today, are such a motivating force in my life. I’m the oldest grandchild and the first to go to college and they were so proud of me while they were here. I work so hard and I am determined to reach every single one of my goals to honor their legacies. In addition to my family, my “person”, Dondrika, has my back until the end of the world and motivates me through so much. My best friend, India definitely has propelled me forward by always telling me to go after my dreams. The three of us are unstoppable together, that’s our relationship uplifting each other, chasing our dreams together, and being there for each other through anything.  And last but not least, Jazmin Carr, my former Summer Success mentor, has been a great help to me since I’ve gotten to Georgia State. She is a big part of the reason I applied to be on the E-board for Her Campus and I couldn’t thank her enough for always giving me advice and guiding me. My friends and family truly keep me going. 

So far, what are some lessons you have learned throughout college? 

Always be yourself, remember your home training, and stay prayed up. I’m 2 and half years into college and it has had its ups and downs. What I have learned is to pray about everything, always stay true to myself and never lose myself or comprise my values for anyone. And, never do anything that would be bring shame to my family.

What is the one thing you can’t live without? 

You know, I’d have to say it’s a tie between my phone and my Macbook Pro. I literally take them everywhere. 

What is the one thing you want to see changed in the world? 

I want violence to stop. I am just fed up up with turning on the T.V. seeing all of the horrid things that are happening around us. The world needs peace. It’s frustrating livng in these trying times.

What is your favorite quote? 

It is tie between my favorite Bible verse Jeremiah 29:11 which says, “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” and my favorite line from Grey’s Anatomy. Dr. Christina Yang on her final episode told Meredith, “He’s very dreamy, but he is not the sun. You are.” I’m so in love both of those quotes, they are my absolute favs. 

Are you currently obsessed with a song that gets you going at the moment? 

Right now, I don’t think I can decide between all of Future’s music which would be my favorite favorite song. Yo Gotti’s “Down in the DM” and Thug’s “Thief in the Night” are always playing in my car. This is such a hard question for me though because I literally listen to all types of music and I’m always discovering new music. 

Zimbabwean-American Journalism major at Georgia State University. Audrey Hepburn and pink enthusiast who's constantly dreaming of Breakfast at Bergdorfs. She lives in Atlanta with New York on her mind.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus