Choosing the Right Girl Squad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

With college comes a lot of fun and freedom. While you’re enjoying this new independence, you’re probably meeting a lot of different people. The great thing about college is that you are now totally in charge of who you hang out with. This is a fun and refreshing time. But remember, they say you’re only as good as the people you surround yourself with. So, keep these few tips in mind when establishing your new girl squad.

Stay clear of the Negative Nellies!

You know those people who always have to talk down on somebody, or always have something negative to say? They make you feel dark and gloomy. If you feel like a dark cloud is hovering over your head after you spend time with your friends, it’s probably time to change crowds. Your friends should be positive, and for the most part, they should inspire you to be positive too! Do these people keep you energized? No one likes to be around a Debbie Downer. And once you’re around negativity for so long, you’ll start to spread it too. This is draining!

Success is Contagious!

If you want to experience success, hang out with successful people. Impressive party skills are fun, but what else can your friends do? Can they show up for class? How are their grades? And more importantly, do they motivate you to be better, or motivate you to take one too many lazy days? Be careful if you start to see your friends interfering with your goals and success.

What are your new friends known for?

Now before I start, it is always best to be open-minded and accepting with all the different people you’re meeting in college, but your friends reflect you. Your professors care about your image. Your image also matters when it comes to networking, another important tool when it comes to success. And this doesn’t mean you have to be perfect, but you don’t want to be associated with the wrong things. What do you want to be known for in college? Now ask yourself if your new friends help you keep this image? Have fun, but keep it classy. And make sure your friends do too!

Find the Good!

Finding an unstoppable, fun, and positive crowd is easier than it seems. Your classes are a great place to make friends. Study groups help develop reliable and trustworthy friendships. Finding people who share the same interests as you is another great way to make friends. Join a club that centers around a hobby of yours. Through clubs you’re bound to meet someone you already have one thing in common with. These same interests can be the foundation of a great friendship.

When it comes to finding a girl gang, be open but always careful. There’s a lot of different people out there. It’s important to find friends that make you feel good and help you stay on the right track! Most importantly, make sure your squad cares about you and loves you for you. Here’s to great girlfriends!

(Photos:google images)

Moya Leung is a journalism major with a concentration in public relations and a marketing minor at Georgia State University. Her interests include social media management, fashion, public relations, writing & taking pictures. Her goal is to be a Public Relations Director or Social Media Manager for a major fashion company. If it has to do with fashion, marketing or socializing, she's there. Enjoy some of her writings here and keep up with her on Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Twitter.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus