This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

College-aged people who are owners of uteruses, vaginas, and/or breasts are probably familiar with some of the upkeep required for the cleanliness, comfort, and health of these body parts. However, there are facets of health that are likely going to be new (and possible scary) experiences for you if you’re in your 20s- like pap smears and breast exams. Furthermore, decisions are to be made about birth control, for which there are many options to choose from. 

This article walks you through what you need to know about these difficult yet necessary tasks so that you can execute them with as much confidence and comfort as possible. 

Get vaccinated

One of the things that you may need to do at your next check-up is to make sure that you have been vaccinated for HPV. It isn’t too late to get vaccinated if you’re between the ages of 9 and 26! The CDC states that “HPV vaccination is also recommended for everyone through age 26 years, if not vaccinated already.” The whole process involves two doses of the vaccine, with the second one administered 6 months after the first. It helps prevent against HPV infections as well as cervical precancers, and is recommended for every gender. 

pink stethoscope
Photo by Christopher Boswell from Unsplash

Screening for your health

If you’re over the age of 20, you may have some new business to discuss with your gynecologist and/or general practitioner. Women who are at least 21 years of age and younger than 65 are recommended to get annual pap smears. A pap smear is a test that screens for cervical precancer cells and is performed by your doctor using a speculum to see into your vagina and then using a special stick to rub cells off of the cervix for testing. Though pap smears are not supposed to be painful, many people find them uncomfortable. Some recommendations for increased comfort during a pap smear include taking an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen about an hour before and making sure to pee beforehand. Pap smears probably aren’t what you had in mind as part of turning 21, but it’s all worth it to keep yourself safe from cervical cancer! 

a laboratory worker takes a swab test
Photo by Mufid Majnun from Unsplash

Another form of screening that may be necessary for you now are breast exams. Planned Parenthood asserts that breast exams are recommended once every 1-3 years for people aged 25-29, though more frequent exams may be necessary if you or a family member has a history of breast or ovarian cancer. Breast exams are usually part of a normal gynecological check-up.  It used to be recommended that people with breasts learn to perform breast exams by themselves at home, but new research states that this is not necessary. It is still recommended to inform your doctor if you notice any differences or lumps in your breasts, but you don’t have to worry about learning to check your own breasts for unusual tissue.

What birth control is right for you?

Birth control is a complicated subject because there are so many options and some methods work differently from one individual to another. Ultimately, it is something that should be discussed with your gynecologist, but it definitely helps to go into your appointment with a solid idea of what you want from your birth control and a narrow list of options that you prefer. Planned Parenthood lists each form of birth control which can be sorted by factors such as “best at preventing pregnancy” and “helps with periods”. This is a great starting point for figuring out what form of birth control will work best for you.

Regardless of what birth control you choose, it is generally good practice to use a condom when having casual sex, sex with someone who may have other partners, or sex with someone who you have not confirmed to be free of sexually transmitted diseases. Condoms will help protect you from disease, though they are not 100% effective at protecting from pregnancy and are therefore best paired with a complementary second option. 

IUD (intrauterine contraceptive device)
Photo by Reproductive Health Supplies Coalition from Unsplash

Birth control is something that many people don’t get right on their first try. Some people experience nonideal side effects that cause them to switch methods multiple times before settling on an option that works. Furthermore, it may take some time with certain methods, like Nexplanon and the various types of IUDs, to determine how well your body responds. This can make selecting birth control a long and difficult journey for some people. It’s important to keep in mind that the greater benefits of protection are well worth the struggle. 

A concern for most people when thinking about starting birth control is how much it will cost. Luckily, as of now, most insurance plans will cover all methods of birth control at no cost due to the Affordable Care Act. If you have questions about your coverage of contraceptives, you can contact your insurance provider directly. If you don’t have insurance, you may still be eligible for Medicaid or other government programs to cover your birth control costs. Birth control is largely accessible and affordable at this point in time for those who choose to use it. 

Take charge of your health

I hope that this information has informed and inspired you to take initiative of your own gynecological health. Make sure to do your research and to be informed about your own body, because knowledge is power and so is taking control of your own future. Ultimately, your body is nothing to be ashamed of, and you owe it proper care for everything that it does for you.

Hey Everyone- call me Sam! I am a Colorado transplant and senior Exercise Science student at Georgia State. Some of my passions include traveling, birds, reality television, and rock climbing.