Wellness > Mental Health

Cabin Fever: The Coronavirus Symptom That Just Won’t Go Away

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Flashback to March 2020. The United States is in shambles from the recent outbreak of the novel coronavirus. Stay-at-home mandates are being put into action and businesses are shutting down. Georgia State follows suit to keep students safe and immediately transfers classes to online only.

Fast forward to today, it’s August 2021. While some classes are in session on campus, many remain online. Now I don’t know about you, but I’ve been experiencing some major cabin fever. 

Taking care of your health, both mentally and physically during this time is a top priority. Many have chosen to continue to stay home and remain online with the rising cases from the Delta variant. 

I’m one of those people, and for the sake of my and my family’s health, I think I made the right decision. But, for the sake of my sanity, not so much. 

What started as a temporary vacation from the rest of the world, cozy in my bed and taking the days slow, has turned into a nightmare. Pre-pandemic, I wished for a week off of school or an extended vacay from work. If I have learned anything from the pandemic, it is to be careful what you wish for.

This pandemic has changed everything for me. I would be lying if I said I missed the long commute from Acworth to downtown Atlanta every day, but it was a major part of my day that is nonexistent now. How do you fill the minutes and hours of the day that you once took for granted? How do you go from being out of the house daily to rarely leaving your space at all? Let me tell you, it hasn’t been easy. But, there are some activities and tips I’ve implemented into my life to ensure I don’t go totally stir-crazy. 

1. Separate your space

This may not be attainable for everyone, especially in a small dorm room, but it is worth trying if you have the space. I live in a 750 square foot apartment that gets little sunlight during the day. I am greatly affected by my environment and always being in it can get a little claustrophobic. My first tip, and probably the most important, is to separate your space. I know, it’s easy to stay in bed with your laptop and cuddle up under the covers while writing a paper. But, next thing you know, it is two hours later and you just took a nap, taking away some crucial time from your productivity. Make a space specifically for work and school. Whether it be a small desk or nook under your lofted bed, it’s important your mind can differentiate between where you rest and where you work. 

1. Get to know nature

Now, I get it, if you are living in the middle of Atlanta it may be a little harder to find nature around you. But, taking a long walk (always carry self-defense tools) or driving to a nearby park is essential for your overall health. Breathe in and breathe out and really feel the world around you. Walk barefoot over the grass and feel connected to the earth. It may seem a bit cliche, but it does wonders for your soul. If you have a furry friend you can bring, they will love it too! The point is to get out of your space so you can feel a part of society again while still staying safe. I recommend walking the Atlanta Beltline, visiting Freedom Park, or hiking the East Palisades Trail.

1. Don’t disconnect

It’s easy to disassociate from the rest of the world when you feel locked in an isolated place. But, it will do you more harm than good to fight this battle alone. One of my favorite ways to stay connected is by using Teleparty. Sit back, relax, and watch a movie with friends like the old days. You may not be in the same place, but you are able to talk and enjoy the show together while still keeping everyone safe. Seriously, try it! You will love it. 

1. Get the therapist

It’s 2021 and the stigma against therapy is a thing of the past. Along with staying connected to avoid disassociating and cutting off the rest of the world– you need to talk. 

Of course, you can talk to someone you love and trust about your hardships in this weird time, but getting a therapist will benefit you even more. They are paid to listen, so all the thoughts you have trapped in your head you can release without the fear of burdening your peers. Therapists help you control your emotions and get a better hold of your mental health. There are countless online therapists waiting to help you out, just make sure you do your research and choose a reputable one. I recommend checking out BetterHelp or Talkspace.

1. Appreciate what is happening now

There have been many moments during this pandemic when cabin fever has caught up with me. I had to rearrange my room, step outside, or close my eyes and rest just to avoid losing it. It happens, and you aren’t alone. 

We have never experienced something like this in our lifetime, so it makes sense that our brains don’t quite know how to handle it all the time. But, above anything, you have to be grateful for now. That may seem impossible with the state of the world around you, but it is crucial to stay sane. Each day, look for something you are grateful for and thank the universe, or God, or whatever you believe in for it. It could be the smallest thing, like a good cup of coffee or the sunset hitting your window just right. These little wins become big ones when the world feels like it is falling apart. 

So, what now?

One day you will look back and this pandemic will be long gone. Life has moved on, you are back at work, and it’s almost like it never happened. But don’t forget this feeling. You made it through one of the scariest, craziest periods that will happen in your lifetime– and you did it with grace. 

These tips have been life-savers for me during this unpredictable time. Life may not be normal now, and the cabin fever may last a little longer than you expected, but do what you can to diminish the doubt. You’ve got this.

Autumn Boekeloo is an aspiring entertainment journalist living in Atlanta, GA. She is a senior at Georgia State University majoring in Multimedia Journalism and minoring in Women's Gender and Sexuality Studies. The 21 year old will be graduating in December 2021 with a B.A. and several academic awards. Autumn has written for print and online newspapers at Georgia State. She enjoys writing articles about lifestyle, festivals and all things Atlanta. She hopes to work for a magazine one day while pursuing her own blog.