Brettney Fountain ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Name: Brettney Fountain

Hometown: Born in Germany

Year: Junior, Class of 2017

Major:  Double Computer Information Systems and Economics Major with a Minor in Hospitality

Relationship Status: Single

Instagram: brettneyfountain

Snapchat: brettneyf 

HC: What are 3 words you could describe yourself by?

BF: Goofy (all day), spontaneous, and athletic

HC: Why did you pick GSU?

BF: The city, definitely. I had never even been to Atlanta till I came to GSU. So I took a leap of faith and my parents let me. Literally, the best thing ever.

HC: What is your favorite thing about attending GSU?

BF: The diversity. I love that I can go to class and sit next to someone who is from India or from Africa and then go to another class and have a professor from somewhere else. I love the blending of culture here at GSU. 

HC: What are you involved in on campus? 

BF: Alpha Kappa Psi Business Fraternity. It is my favorite organization on campus.  I serve as the IT Chair, so anything dealing with the website or technology come through me. My job is to keep the chapter as innovative as possible.

HC: How has being apart of Alpha Kappa Psi helped shape who you are now and who you hope to be in the future?

BF: My professionalism. Being able to speak in front of people, articulate my thoughts, and finding my inner self confidence definitely has come from Alpha Kappa Psi. I am able to walk through campus with my head held high. The brotherhood also. It has aught be to be open and really have a genuine care and respect for other people. Service, also. It has taught me to be involved in the community and really make a difference. 

HC: What motivates you?

BF: My parents. Both of my parents are retired drill sergeant. My dad finished 27 years in the military and my mom is a federal detective for the government and she’s the chief of investigation at Fort Benning. So they definitely give me big shoes to fill. They have high expectation and that definitely drives me.

HC: What inspires you?

BF: Music. Music can change my mood to just about anything. And it can drive me to be like “Okay. I can study this!” and “I can get in the gym and run this mile.”.  I feel like music is in everything that I do. It just helps my insides and makes me feel nice and warm.

HC: What is you your lifelong dream? 

BF: Wow, to wake up in the morning and not have to worry about anything. Just wake up and be like, “What am I going to do today?”  No issues, no problem, no financial issues, and no limitations. Just wake up being successful and happy with no limitations or care in the world. 

HC: What is your favorite quote?

BF: ‘Nothing changes, if nothing changes.”- Dan Bobinkski.  My old Honors Literature teacher you have to that quote everywhere and it really stuck with me ever since then.  I definitely live by that quote.

HC: What makes Brettney, Brettney? 

BF: My background. Just from moving around and I’ve lived in 7 different states. I’ve met so many different people from so many diverse backgrounds and it really turned me into a people person. Like I also am sure to always be nice to people, because back in school I was bullied for the most stupid stuff, but I still loved people even know they made fun of me. So all in all definitely my background and experiences from life have made me who I am.

HC: What is the biggest thing you will take away from GSU when you graduate?

BF: The biggest thing I’m going to take away from GSU is that as much as I want to come up by myself, It is okay to need somebody. Utilizing every asset and opportunity that I have is key in success and GSU definitely has taught me that! 

Fun Facts

Favorite Food: French Fries

Favorite Song: Needed Me – Rihanna

Favorite Study Spot –  Urban Life Law Library

Favorite Hangout Spot – AKPsi Chapter Room

Interesting Fact? I love playing golf. I really want to go to the Master’s one day! 

K. Miche' Thomas is a double major Marketing and Managerial Sciences student at Georgia State University. Upon her anticipated graduation in 2018 she plans to attend law school to pursue her dreams of becoming a Trademark & Patent Attorney. In her extra time she enjoys planning event and spending precious time with friends and family.