Breaking the Status Quo: 44th President of the United States

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Do you remember what you were doing on the night of November 4, 2008? 

The world waited to find out who the next President of the United States would be.

On November 4 2008, Senator Barack Obama, Illinois democrat, significantly defeated his Republican opponent, Senator John McCain. On this day history was officially made. 

While being in the White House has its privileges, having so much power also comes with an overwhelming amount of responsibility. In case you may have missed some of the events or haven’t heard about some new Laws that were enacted, let’s take a look back on some key major events that took place under the leadership of President Barack Obama.

Timeline of Major Events during Obama’s Presidency

Jan 2009: President Barack Obama was inaugurated as the 44th President of the United States

Jan 2009: Obama gives his first State of the Union Address

Feb 2009: President Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize

He was awarded this for his determination to help strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between people. President Obama is the 4th president to receive this award.

March 2010: The patient Protection and Affordable Act AKA Obamacare is passed.

Close to 13 million Americans are covered under the Obamacare Health Insurance. This act has overwhelmingly succeeded in bringing forth Obama’s main promises.

May 2011: Osama Bin Laden killed in US raid in Pakistan

Bin Laden was the founder of Al-Qaeda, the organization in who was responsible for the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center.

Nov 2012: President Barack Obama was re-elected to a second term as President, defeating Senator Mitt Romney.

Jan 2013: Obama begins his second term as Commander-In-Chief

Feb 2013: Obama announces that 34,000 troops to come home. ☺

This proposal would’ve been to reduce the number of U.S forces in the country by half.

March 2013: Violence Against Women Act

This act came in as a Law, which recognizes the heinous acts of violence against women and our need for a national strategy.

April 2013: Boston Marathon Bombing terrorist attack.

What was supposed to be a day of fun and excitement, cheering those runners to the finish line, quickly took a spin for the worst. Two bombs went off, killing 3 spectators and injuring 260 other people.

Feb 2014: President meets with the Dalai Lama

The Tibetan spiritual leader came to the U.S Capitol to meet with the President. The meeting was held in the Map room, not the Oval office, which was closed to the press.

May 2014: President Barack Obama visits troops and military leaders at Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan.

June 2015: Same- Sex Marriage ruling by Supreme Court

President Obama responded to this stating “Our nation was founded on a bedrock principle that we are all created equal. The project of each generation is to bridge the meaning of those founding words with the realities of changing times.” – Barack Obama, 44th President of the United States

Jan 2016: President Obama gives his final State of the Union Address

“For all the challenges we face, the truth is that no country on Earth is better poised to seize the future than the United States. There is nothing that America can’t do.” – Barack Obama, 44th President of the United States

BUT WAIT ….

There’ll never be another President as cool

Obama & basketball player Stephen Curry

Barack Obama with rapper and singer Jay-Z & Beyoncé

Barack Obama with rapper Kanye West

President Obama & Malika Sherawat

Obama and Oprah Winfrey[2]

Barack Obama and rapper Wale

President Obama and rapper Kendrick Lamar

Hey there Collegiates ,I'm Shana , a Senior at the Georgia State University; majoring in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Legal Studies. I find comfor t more importantly I love what I allow my hands to bring to paper.I thrive on others enjoying my writing pieces , more importanly it motivates me to continue to pursue what I have a passion for." You have to love what you do, to the point that you cannot imagine doing anything else with your life. You have to sleep, breathe and live this. Otherwise you really need to get out, now. And that's not a joke" - Tom Ford
K. Miche' Thomas is a double major Marketing and Managerial Sciences student at Georgia State University. Upon her anticipated graduation in 2018 she plans to attend law school to pursue her dreams of becoming a Trademark & Patent Attorney. In her extra time she enjoys planning event and spending precious time with friends and family.