matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Black Girls Really Are Magic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

This is the reminder that black women and girls are not fighting to save the country but instead, we are fighting to save ourselves and in moments like these we are also reminded that we have been here too many times before.

Echoing reminders of how black lives are lost in translation of modern day movements was the focal point of one special keynote speaker on Saturday’s ‘Fight for Our Lives’ march. The noticeably missing narrative of black stories is a missing piece that is always voiced when our lives are seemingly swept under the rug. The mention of those whose entire existence was shattered by excessive force from those in blue not only strikes a nerve, but also a dissonance that conjures up a somber mix of rage and sadness.

Source: Naomi Wadler

However, in the midst of the frustration there is always a glimmering light and this time her name is Naomi Wadler. The 11-year-old student activist and voice of every black woman who has a story bravely took to the masses to share the unspoken narrative of the voiceless. It was hard to look away as her curly hair effortlessly swayed with the bass of the words she gave and ultimately encouraged you to make time stand still. This amazing force to be reckoned with is probably something the media will deem cute, but the biggest lesson here to is to not downplay the voice of someone who understands that black lives really do matter.

America, though flawed has so many little heroes that give us hope with action behind it. Wadler’s stance reminded all of us, especially black women, why we fight the fight we fight and why we have the strength that we have. It is sincerely unmatchable. We are the embodiment of strength but yet, we know that we are not strong on our own. Black girl magic is more than just a catchy hashtag but it is literally a tribe of women who support each other through a translation of similarities, good and bad. We build upon one another to continue to build up little girls like Naomi Wadler, Mya Middleton or Little Miss Flint, Mari Copeny.

Source: Little Miss Flint, Mari Copeny

And yes, while the Parkland shooting was tragic and disheartening, those students who became the face of the movement acknowledge that their white privilege overshadowed the voice of the black students who never had a chance to tell their story. Their traumas and their experiences went unheard by local media, until now. That is not to take away the loss that each student at Parkland experienced, it is all equally saddening to know that their lives are forever changed but it is also good to know that the current faces of the shooting want to give light to the black and brown kids who never get a voice.

Source: Mya Middleton

In these stories, we find ourselves mirroring so many perpetual realities, like Chicago native, Mya Middleton does on a daily. She too took the stage to share her face-to-face encounter with a gunman when she was simply trying to buy a few items for her mother who was sick at the time of the encounter. Even flashing back to that moment, she found the courage to poetically emulate the realities that gun violence has on a person and overall, a culture. So while light has finally been shed, we must not forget that in black and brown communities, this happens as a new and tragic normal.

Nonetheless, gun violence is an issue that we have faced for years, and knowing that just anyone can obtain a firearm is more problematic than passing legislation for animals on airplanes. Gun violence is recognizing that this tragedy can happen to anyone, anywhere no matter how many safety trainings you have. It is acknowledging that gun control has to be regulated and that intellectual conversations around the right to bear arms are possible without gaining offense to them being stripped away. It is ultimately coming to terms with the truth that inclusiveness and intersectionality is now identifiable as a basic human right when in reality, it should be second nature.

Source: CBS News

So, to the Naomi Wadler’s, Mya Middleton’s and Mari Copeny’s, keep your magic shining. Continue to be the beacon of change that your community and this world needs while knowing that you are not in this alone. We are watching, we are supporting and we see you.

Cydney Maria (Rhines) is a creative writer, journalist and photographer located in Atlanta, Ga. She is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and english. She coins her brand as something curated beautifully for those who may not feel that beauty. Her main focus is mental health, social issues, digital design and of course the beauty of black girl magic. Her main goal is to constantly write creative content that fills a need. She is currently published accross multiple platforms and looks to continue her current level of work after she graduates from GSU. Check this creative out!