A Stress-Free, Three-Step Guide to Self-Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

It’s often common for individuals to react irrationally when they are overwhelmed with emotions. A terrific way to prevent these violent outbursts is by practicing self-care. Self-care is defined as providing adequate attention to one’s own physical and psychological wellness (Beauchamp & Childress, 2001). Many believe that self-care takes too much time and effort to implement into one’s everyday routine. However, that is not the case. Continue reading on to learn some self-care tips that everyone can add to their daily routine that will help prevent becoming overwhelmed and acting irrationally.

Make Sure You Rest

According to Harvard Health, lack of sleep contributes to irritability, shortness of temper, and stress. Not getting enough sleep also impairs the functioning of the immune system, which makes us more susceptible to infection. As you can see, sleep is vital, and if you do not get enough of it, these might be some symptoms that you experience. Something as simple as making sure that you get at least 7 hours of sleep a day is a great form of self-care that can easily improve your mood.

Get Active

Exercise is important, not only for your physical health but for your mental health as well. Did you know that adding exercise to your weekly daily routine can reduce anxiety, depression, and negative mood? It also can improve self-esteem, cognitive function and can alleviate symptoms such as low self-esteem and social withdrawal. You do not have to do any intensive hour-long workouts, but you can start off by working out for 30 minutes every other day. Some great ways to get active include yoga, walking around a park or your neighborhood, pilates and riding a bicycle.

Implement a Healthy Diet

What you put into your body is essential for what you can expect to get out of it. By eating a healthy and nutritious diet, you can expect to experience fewer mood fluctuations and higher energy levels. Studies have shown that healthy diets can help with symptoms of depression and anxiety, provide an overall happier outlook, and improve your ability to focus. Having a healthy diet does not mean that you must completely cut out your favorite foods. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), you can eat foods high in calories, fat, or added sugars, just less often and in smaller amounts. For some ideas on how to eat healthier, read this Healthy Eating Tips article by the CDC.

As you can see, self-care is not as daunting as it may seem. By loving yourself and giving your body the things it needs, you will be the best version of yourself in no time!

Writing frees my mind.