This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Spring break is just the vacation from school we need, but that doesn’t mean you have to travel far or break the bank to have a good time. You can be a tourist in your own city and have a great time! Here are seven things to do in Atlanta and surrounding areas during spring break:

Candytopia

Photo by Mike Coppola/Getty Images

No golden ticket is necessary for this trip to a candy wonderland. Located right by Lenox Mall, Candytopia is an art exhibit and experience featuring sculptures and various 3d art pieces made from candy. The perfect way to sweeten up your Instagram feed, satisfy a sweet tooth and see some great art all at the same time! You can secure your tickets to this candy wonderland online.

Road trip to Helen, Georgia.

Photo by Sussman Imaging

Helen is a true gem that catches the spirit of a true Bavarian village in the North Georgia mountains. No need to decide between food, fun, or adventure. You can do it all in Helen. Walk around the village to get a taste of the Bavarian cuisine and stop by all types of shops with various knick-knacks. If outdoor adventure screams your name Anna Ruby Falls is right nearby along with zip lines and high ropes. You can even mine for gold and gems in this once gold rush struck town.

Tackle Stone Mountain

Photo by Aaron Coury

Stone Mountain is the ultimate fitness testament of any Georgia resident. The hike to the top of the mountain is only one mile. Which may seem like nothing; we all had to do it in high school gym right? Nope, this steep incline makes for a real challenge. The cherry on top of this mountain is a photo opp to show your physical prowess and beautiful views. If hiking isn’t for you, don’t fret, the park is filled with various attractions.

Lake day/ Picnic

Photo by Robert Bye

Georgia has beautiful lakes and parks sprinkled all throughout the state. Pack up some snacks, a blanket, some games and a speaker for a nice picnic day. Red Top Mountain at Lake Allatoona in Cartersville has a “beach” with the same sandy feel of a real beach. So pack up your favorite pool floaties and take a day trip up to the “beach.” If the lake isn’t your thing, Piedmont Park is right in the heart of Midtown with great views of the city and plenty of attractions nearby such as ZOO Atlanta and the Botanical Gardens.

Sight-Seeing and Museums

Photo by Kristen Kelly

Embrace your inner tourist and take some time to explore the various museums and exhibits Atlanta has to offer. Atlanta and Georgia are rich in history and there’s something for everyone. Both the Fernbank Natural Science Museum and the High Museum often hold many events! And if you haven’t gone yet, the Center for Civil and Human Rights is a must-see experience to learn about national and global human rights!

Shopping and Eating

Photo by Emma Valerio

Atlanta and its surrounding suburbs have many great shopping and dining experiences for every style. A few popular spots include Little Five Points, Ponce City Market, The Battery at Suntrust Park, Marrietta Square, Atlantic Station and Avalon. The Battery offers many dining options and an adult-catered arcade and entertainment center called Punch Bowl Social, perfect for a night out!

Catch a show

Photo by John Jackson

The entertainment scene in Atlanta is always bustling. There is something for every age and taste. Visit a drive-in theater, whether its a date night or with a group of friends. Starlight is one of Atlanta’s year-round drive-in theater that plays many current and popular movies! If staying in is more of your thing you can plan a Netflix/Hulu night with friends. Now is the perfect time to get caught up on shows or finally watch that series you’ve been dying to see.

These are just a few things to do in Georgia over break but there are so many more! A change of scenery or trying something new can make any break refreshing!

Kristen Kelly is a freshman at Georgia State University. She is currently seeking a Journalism major so that she can share her love of communication with the world. Her love of communication flourished her senior year of high school when Kristen was the editor in chief of her schools yearbook. People, pictures and stories, everything she loved in one place.When she's not writing you can likely find her watching a film to check off her list or editing her music playlists.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus