Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Dating Takeaways We Learned from ‘Netflix & Chill’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

On Tuesday, October 10, Her Campus GSU hosted their highly anticipated Netflix and Chill panel. Student leaders representing various campus organizations were brought together for a candid conversation on relationships, romance, and the current dating scene. Here are our top five takeaways!

Long Distance Isn’t For Everyone

Do you think a long-distance relationship could work? This topic had our panel divided. A panelist started the conversation bluntly saying, “No, I don’t. Honestly, I would cheat.” His response rendered passionate responses from many women in the audience, one who said, “Love should work things out.” Another argued, “If you don’t have the bravery to cut it off, you’re a coward, and you didn’t deserve her in the first place.” A male audience member also chimed in, disagreeing with our panelist, viewing the foundation as the premise of if a long distance relationship could work.  These responses prove that the ability for long distance relationship to work is solely based on you and your partner. If you find yourself questioning if you are strong enough to withstand the distance, it may be time to reevaluate your relationship status.

Who Pays, Who Decides

On a first date, do you go Dutch, is whoever asked that person out expected to pay, or should it always be the man? The panel seemed to have a more traditional outlook on this agreeing that on the first date the man should pay.  However, when it comes to long-term relationships, there’s a difference in opinions. One of our panelists believes that the man should be the sole financial provider while others believe that long-term finances should be divided. Ultimately do what works for you!

When To Bring Up The Past

Will bringing up the past sabotage your future? Many of our panelists disagreed stating that communication and honesty are key. Past trauma is also a reason to discuss the past. If you were in an abusive relationship, your current partner should know just in case you have someone who wants to harm you or if there is a child involved. Everyone also agreed if you were hurt in a past relationship, opening up and being vulnerable again can be hard, so talking about that any past traumas are necessary.

Are Friends Off-Limits?

Is dating your friend’s ex crossing the line? Our panelists didn’t seem to think so. As long as there is not a significant overlap in dating times, all is fair. It was also agreed that before any further moves are made you need to have a conversation with your friend to let them know this is someone you’re interested in pursuing a relationship with, and based off our audience’s responses this conversation could go either way. So, do yourself a favor and make sure this love connection is worth potentially losing a friend over because things may not go as planned.

How Long Is Too Long?

In today’s dating scene everything seems like a waiting game. We wait to see who makes the first move, wait to reply to a text and wait before making it “official”, but the burning question of last night is how long is too long to wait? After our panelists chimed in, we’ve concluded that this is strictly situational. Take as long as you need to get to know your potential significant other, and don’t rush into a commitment. However, don’t allow yourself to become idle if you feel that things won’t progress past the talking stage. If you or your boo want more then maybe you should consider things off. Doing so will help you avoid major heartbreak and drama in the future.

If you missed out on this year’s Netflix & Chill panel don’t worry we’ll be back next spring! Don’t forget to follow our Instagram account, @HerCampusGSU, to stay updated on  upcoming Pink Week events!

Paris Gary is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and public relations.
Makeda Phillips is a writer with too many dreams to count. Born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia, she attempts to weave humor, integrity, and beauty through her work. Her poems have been published in Vox Teen Newspaper, GSU's Underground, The Wren's Nest's teen journal Smoke Signals, Georgia's Best Emerging Poets, Northumbria University's magazine The Edge, and her first play, 2.97, was produced by the Northumbria Drama Society in Newcastle, England. Makeda is currently studying English and Art History at Georgia State University. She plans to take over the world upon graduation, or whatever people do with their degrees nowadays.