Medicine cabinet packed full of skincare products
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Wellness

4 Ways to Relieve Eczema This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Spread the news everyone, fall is here. Many people are having different reactions to the cooler months coming up so fast. Some are excited because they love winter and winter activities…but others aren’t too welcoming of winter. If you’re anything like me, you have eczema and have a love-hate relationship with winter.

As I got older, my eczema (thankfully) stopped flaring up as much and I learned a few tricks on how to reduce the flare-ups. In this article, I will give you four easy ways to relieve your eczema that won’t break the bank.

FAB moisturizer
Sephora

4 Ways to relieve eczema irritation

1. Shower with luke-warm water

I know this one might be hard to hear, but who doesn’t love a nice, hot shower? But trust me, that hot water is doing more harm than good to your skin. The hot water can dry your skin out and cause even more irritation. Instead, use lukewarm water and don’t stay in the shower for longer than 15 minutes. While on the topic of showering, make sure not to scrub super hard when using a washcloth or a loofah because – again – that can cause more irritation.

2. Take a deeeeeeep breath

Did you know that stress can cause eczema flare-ups too? Unfortunately, it can. However, stress-relieving activities can help reduce irritation. Whether it’s yoga, meditation, or some simple deep breathing, it’s up to you! Doing something to take your mind off of that annoying itching will really help you in the long run.

3. Try topical ointments

Because you’re dealing with a skin condition that dries you out, a good moisturizer is a great option for relief. You can go to your local drugstore and find one or go to a dermatologist and have them prescribe you one. My favorite creams are the Vanicream Moisturizing Ointment and the CeraVe Healing Ointment. Make sure to moisturize when you get out of the shower to lock in moisture and every now and then throughout the day as needed.

4. Change out your jewelry

This one really sucks because good-quality jewelry can get pretty expensive. Jewelry that contains nickel, and sometimes cobalt, can actually trigger eczema and cause flare-ups. These flare-ups usually appear on the earlobes, fingers, or neck. Make sure to test your jewelry to find out if it’s made with nickel and, if it is, switch it out for jewelry that is made of stainless steel or 18- or 24-karat gold. Also, make sure your jewelry is hypoallergenic.

And there you have it! I hope this list helped you out even the tiniest bit. Even though it may feel like it at times, having eczema is not the end of the world. Be patient and follow some of these tips and you’ll be feeling just fine. And remember, don’t let your eczema stop you from enjoying the winter!

Kaylan is a student at Georgia State University in Atlanta, Georgia. She is a staff writer for Her Campus and a member of the National Association of Black Journalists at her school. In her spare time, she loves baking, shopping, and doing yoga.