4 Tips to Having A Hot Mom Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

I’m a first-time mom, full-time college student, daughter, partner, and an employee. When I say you can do this, I mean it.

Making the decision to continue your education is an investment for you and your child. We always hear that having a child changes your life and I, for one, can say it did. Now that you’re enrolling or re-enrolling in college, you may be nervous about the new responsibilities that are going to fall on your shoulders. Hang in there, girl! Here are a few tips from one mom to another:

1.      Your syllabus is your lifeline

Dedicate the first week of classes to learn the professor’s requirements and expectations. The syllabus will have an answer to almost every question. Due dates for assignments and exams are vital in organizing your personal, school and even work life. I recommend printing or writing out all the due dates for the month. I use the Apex planner from Amazon to keep track of my weekly assignments. That way I will always have a physical copy on hand when scheduling my other obligations.

2.      Prioritize your time

Spending quality time with your child should always remain the top priority. I prefer late nights to get my school work done so I can still spend time with my daughter during the times she’s awake.  When you’re having that one-on-one time with your child, be sure to leave your cell phone in the other room. My daughter is two years old, and she’s very aware of my iPhone attachment. Read a book with your child, go to the playground or watch a movie with them. My daughter loves being outdoors, so I like to do activities that let her enjoy the sunshine. If you’re in the Atlanta area, the Atlanta Parent magazine has a list of suggestions that are family-friendly. Would you rather stay up late studying and doing homework or wake up early to do it? Do what makes sense for your day-to-day life.

Photo by Sai De Silva on Unsplash

3.      Ask for help

There will be times where everything feels overwhelming, but it won’t last forever. It’s important that you have someone in your life, whether that be a boyfriend, girlfriend, partner, support group, or a family member that you can rely on. Being superwoman isn’t always easy, and asking for help is not a sign of defeat. People who want to see you succeed will not hesitate to help you. Since my family and friends live out of state, I rely heavily on my partner and his family to help with our daughter. It’s reassuring to know there’s always someone in my corner as a young mom.

Photo by sydney Rae on Unsplash

4.      Don’t forget it’s a hot mom semester

When younger women become moms, we tend to grow up faster than our peers. Sometimes we focus so much on our child that we neglect ourselves. There is nothing wrong with taking time for yourself. Get involved with an organization on campus, get your makeup done, go to the museum or hang out with your friends! I like to have photoshoots with my girlfriends. Putting together a photoshoot not only lets me get creative, but it also makes me feel empowered. 

I hope after reading these tips you feel better about what your future holds as a young mom in college. The road to success is never simple but the process gets easier with more discipline. Just remember that even though you’re a mom now, you’re also an individual with goals, hopes and dreams, too. 

Staff writer @ GSU
The GSU chapter of Her Campus