This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

I am a part of the trifecta: black, queer, and a woman. 

As a community, we have to try our best to make a name or brand for ourselves. I am proud to know that there are women that not only look like me, but represent a big part of my identity. Without further ado, these are some of the many black queer women that inspire me. 

Beyonce  Clapping
Giphy

Lena Waithe

Lena Waithe is an actress, producer and screenwriter. She is the first black woman to receive a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Writing  in a Comedy Series. She has produced movies and television shows, like Queen and Slim, Dear White People, and Twenties. Lena Waithe does an outstanding job incorporating black love and lesbian relationships. 

Asiahn

Asiahn is an amazing singer and songwriter. Asiahn uses her music to describe the passion of two women. Her album, Love Train 2, focuses on girl crushes, passionate sex, and even heartbreak. Asiahn does an excellent job at representing the love from the lesbian community. Check her out!

Audre Lorde

Audre Lorde was a lesbian poet, feminist, and civil rights activist. She gave the world a voice on gender, race, and sexuality. She focused on awareness of black issues in the South, like in The Black Unicorn. She expresses her own experience with her sexaulity in Martha, Audre Lorde was wise and strong. It takes courage to speak out against issues, especially during the 60s and 70s. 

Madam Adrienne Muse

Madam Adrienne Muse is a painter on the rise. She does an amazing job at involving the contrast of color in black women. She highlights and glorifies the natural beauty of black women. She captures the beauty and authenticity of black lesbian romance. Her paintings are extraordinary. If you’re interested in viewing or purchasing her paintings, click this link. 

There are many different black queer women who encourage me with their work everyday. They have ambition and uniqueness. They make me feel represented and proud of my identity. I am proud to be the way I am. 

lgbt banner
42 North
I am proud to be a black queer woman. 

Chasity Drake is a senior at Georgia State University. She is currently studying journalism with a minor in psychology. In Chasity's free time, she loves to write poetry and short stories.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus