3 Ways for the Introverted Shy Girl to Adapt to Atlanta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

The countdown is over. All the days of mentally preparing yourself for the school year could only prepare you so little for how different this year is going to be. You’re beginning anew in Atlanta as a transfer student and the nerves are still brimming at the surface.

How do you find a new circle of friends? How do you not look like a completely lost freshman when you’re at a crosswalk and don’t remember which way to go? These and a million other “What if” questions are inevitably racing through your head at the beginning of the year, but remember you don’t have to freak out for too long. You’re in the heart of a city with major diversity and more than enough opportunities to get yourself out there.

1. Familiarize yourself with your stomping group

GSU is unlike what you may be used to. At your old school you might’ve been able to keep circling around until you started to recognize where you are. One wrong turn at GSU might mean you end up wondering around Grady Memorial wondering where you went wrong. Courtland St, Decatur St, Peachtree St, and Gilmer St are just a few of the streets you need to be familiar with. Walk every chance you get. Visit the eateries in and around campus – Saxby’s Buenos Dias Café, Sweet Auburn Seafood, and Blossom Tree – just to name a few. Become more than just a tourist. This is your new home and you should know the in’s and out’s of it.

Outside of your class schedule, you’ll need to become familiar with the entire campus. There will inevitably come a time where you need to go someone that’s not a part of your norm. Pull out the GSU school map on your phone (and dim the brightness if you’re still a little self-conscious) to find out where you’re going.

2. Use social media to connect with people

There are a variety of Atlanta groups on Facebook that can connect you to hundreds of people in the city. “Girls Only – Atlanta Drinking Club” is a good starting point. Ladies from the city grab mimosas and scope out new restaurants frequently. It’s the perfect way to meet some new people without all the formal pressure.

Join the transfer Facebook page for your class and use that as a means of scoping out other transfer students and attending events that your peers are hosting.

3. Let it be known that you’re a transfer student

Initially, it may be hard to break out of your shell. Everyone seemingly already has their social circle intact.

For the extroverted types, you may find it easy to strike up a conversation with another girl you see sitting alone in the plaza. But as for the introvert, it may be seemingly impossible to start building your girl squad.

A compliment goes a long way. Find the courage to give out a few. If you compliment the right girl, you may find that as a particularly easy segway into conversation.

If nothing comes of that, join a club. Rush a sorority. Even join the Bumble BFF app. During introductions, let it be known that you’re the new girl. People will be more willing to befriend you if they know you’re new and nervous (and not the too-good-to-talk-to-anyone type they might presume you to be).

You’ve got experience under your belt. Take what you’ve learned at your other college(s), walk confidently, and radiate good vibes wherever Atlanta may lead you. Good luck ladies!

Kayla is a senior at Georgia State University, pursuing a degree in Multimedia Journalism and Spanish & Latin American Studies. She is a devoted mother to her Yorkie and Lifetime fanatic. Her other ventures include writing poetry, advocating for a plant-powered lifestyle, and interning at Seacrest Studios. Oh, and Willy's makes her world go 'round. ☼
The GSU chapter of Her Campus