So You Want to Be an Armchair DJ?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Grinnell chapter.

I don’t know many people who actively dislike music in general, and if I did, I probably wouldn’t like them. Across time, genre, and nearly every other potential divide, we collectively recognize the power and beauty of quality music (although what we consider “quality music” varies considerably). Alone or in company, in your worst moods and your best ones, music simply makes life richer. 

That being said, people do differ in the degree to which they consider music an essential ingredient of everyday life. Some casually enjoy it, and some consume or produce music as if their life depends on it. Some people, on occasion, also go so far as to control the music in a room as if their life depends on it (I sincerely apologize to anyone who has attempted to remove an auxiliary cord from my inebriated death grip).

Through years of trial, error, and endless car rides during which I subjected my ever-patient family and friends to my wildly varying musical preferences, I think that I have developed a decent sense of what music works when, and why. Read on for five practical, technical and social tips on making the most of your armchair DJ experience:

1) Know your audience.

This sounds self explanatory, but is worth emphasizing because it is so important. By all means, introduce your listeners to new music, but it’s probably not the smartest idea to bust out Lil Wayne at Thanksgiving dinner (unless your family is into that, in which case, I don’t know whether to be jealous of you or embarassed for you). Choose your playlists wisely, try to maintain an awareness of how your listeners are responding, and adjust your musical selections accordingly. Not only is this the respectful thing to do, it ensures that you won’t be banned from the auxiliary cord for years to come. Common sense, people.

2) Context, context, context.

Once you know your audience, the next step is using context to your advantage. Does the situation call for background music, or do you want to emphasize a certain mood? Aim to match and enhance the energy in the room. The most memorable playlists and sets are the ones that feel like they were made to be the soundtrack to your environment (cheesy, I know, but bear with me).

For example: On a road trip to the beach with your high school girls, what mood do you want to mirror and encourage? I usually play tunes with a sunny, upbeat, nostalgic vibe.

Whenever you’re trying to win over a new audience at the start of your playlist or set, it’s a good idea to start with a familiar song. Why? People like what they recognize, remember, and have positive associations with. If they like your first few songs, they’ll start to trust your music taste. Once you’ve established a good reputation, push the envelope and introduce them to new songs with a similar vibe.

• Mashups can be a good way to do bridge the gap between old and new.
  • The tip about playing a familiar song is even more effective if you’re with a group you have musical history with. That song you and your friends blasted all summer sophomore year of high school? Play that on your road trip to the beach with them this summer!

If you’re interested, check out a mini version of my fall break drive playlist here. It’s a pretty wide variety of music including one track I mixed myself (Respect Jubel, using Aretha Franklin’s Respect and Klingande’s Jubel- Nora En Pure Remix)

3) If you’re feeling especially creative and want to take things into your own hands: For the best multisong mixes (including mashups and song-to-song transitions), choose songs that have compatible keys and tempos.

Tempo, or the speed of a song, is measured in beats per minute (BPM). If you want to find the BPM of a specific song, check out this website

In terms of key: if you are like me and don’t know extensive music theory, programs like Mixed In Key ($58) or the free software Virtual DJ will analyze your tracks and tell you what songs will sound harmonically best together. They do this by giving you the key and its Camelot Wheel equivalent. Basically, harmonic theory states that songs will sound most compatible together if the key of the second track is either:

• The same number-letter combination on the wheel (Song 1 is 10B and Song 2 is 10B)
  • One step away on the wheel (Song 1 is 10B and Song 2 is 9B or 11B)
  • The same number on the opposite ring of the wheel (Song 1 is 10B and Song 2 is 10A)

According to Google research, this method is the next big thing in the world of professional DJs. While I am not and will likely never be a part of this world, these basic tools have greatly improved my armchair DJ skills. They’re easy to learn, fun to experiment with, and take the mystery and frustration out of song selection.

4: Keep your ears open and your library updated.

While everyone loves a good throwback (mid 2000s mixes, aka playlists consisting of Top 40 from middle school, are always popular among my friends), you shouldn’t be relying solely on tried and true songs. However, the prospect of setting out to “discover the best new music” can seem overwhelming given the sheer volume and variety of available tunes.

Where to start? Free services such as Pandora, Songza (my personal favorite) and Spotify are excellent ways to expand your range. If you have a little more time, music blogs are also great sources, especially within specific genres: Pitchfork, AllHipHop, IndieShuffle and FakeShoreDrive are a few places to start. Alternately, keep it old school and ask a friend whose taste you like if they’ll make you a playlist.

5: Don’t take yourself too seriously.

Don’t be so busy reading the audience’s mood and crafting the perfect playlist/mix/set that you forget to enjoy yourself! Relax, engage, and let the music work its magic.

Katy is the Her Campus Correspondent for Grinnell College. She is a junior psychology major and plans to go to graduate school for clinical psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys photography, skiing, shopping, expanding her music collection, traveling and of course, coming home to her dogs (and the rest of her family).