Seven Reasons to Brave the Bubble

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Grinnell chapter.

While college freshmen are notoriously unfamiliar with their new surroundings, by the end of my first week at Grinnell, I had confirmed two unsettling suspicions: there were no Dunkin’ Donuts to be found within a 50-mile radius, and I could count the number of people I had met from my home state of Massachusetts on one hand. Although I, like many 18 year olds, was excited for the independence of college life, I could not have prepared myself for the culture shock of attending a school of 1,600 in rural Iowa.

Yet I was by no means the only fish out of water; Grinnell is known for having a geographically diverse student body. Although long-distance travel is notoriously expensive, and I do incredibly miss certain aspects of my hometown (for Wellesley and Boston readers: sandwiches at the Linden Store, runs around Lake Waban, shopping at The Tannery in Harvard Square), having friends from such a wide range of places has become one of the most rewarding features of a Grinnell education.

As we power through the last month of school and look forward to summers outside of the loved/hated “Grinnell bubble,” here are seven reasons to appreciate attending a small school where so many of us are far from home:

1. National Network

Having friends from all over = built-in couches, tour guides and vacation spots anywhere in the country (and beyond).

2. Bubble Bonds

Not only do Grinnellians enjoy an instant connection with anyone from their home city, state or region, but anyone who has studied abroad or participated in an externship can also attest to the bond between Grinnellians (current students and alums alike) when they meet off campus.

3. Cultural Capital

Your vocabulary as well as your tastes in music, fashion and even food will expand as a result of being exposed to people from different places.

4. Widened Worldview

Meeting people who were raised with different cultural codes and value systems allows you to get perspective on how your home has shaped you. Instead of automatically adopting the dominant beliefs of your upbringing, it’s easier to determine what you want to keep and what you’d rather leave behind.

5. Only the Best

It can be hard to lose the immediacy and familiarity of your home social circle, but having to make an effort to stay in touch helps you weed out filler friends and focus on the people who matter most.

6. Independent Women

Living away from the comforts of your family and hometown can be daunting, but it helps you develop more independence and gain confidence in your ability to handle difficult situations without a security blanket. Learning to trust your judgment and ability to problem-solve is vital preparation for success after college.

7. Homecoming Queen

No matter how much you wanted to leave home after high school, there is no better feeling than flying into your home airport or showing off your city to visiting friends. At a school where so many of us are far from home and there is no geographic majority (except probably Chicago kids), people have a lot of pride for where they’re from.

Katy is the Her Campus Correspondent for Grinnell College. She is a junior psychology major and plans to go to graduate school for clinical psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys photography, skiing, shopping, expanding her music collection, traveling and of course, coming home to her dogs (and the rest of her family).