Pink Ribbons and Controversies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Grinnell chapter.

Breast Cancer Awareness Month has just ended, but the battle to beat this disease is far from over. In honor of all those who have suffered, survived and supported the fight against breast cancer, we’d like to take a minute to raise awareness about a controversy that has arisen within this particular community.

Through the diagnoses of family members, friends, and acquaintances, far too many of us have been personally or indirectly affected by breast cancer. In the midst of these private battles, the most universal symbolic public beacon of hope is the pink ribbon. Through the efforts of the Susan G. Komen Foundation—one of the most reputable non-profit organizations dedicated to raising money for breast cancer awareness and research—the pink ribbon has become the international symbol of the cause.

Yet while Susan G. Komen is incredibly popular and has undoubtedly done a lot of good, it has also become a lightening rod for controversy surrounding its stance on issues related to women’s rights.

For example, in January 2012, the Komen Foundation withdrew $680,000 in funding to Planned Parenthood, which resulted in reduced access to breast cancer screenings and educational programs for women across the country. Although the grants were later restored, Komen’s move was widely interpreted as a protest against Planned Parenthood’s status as the largest national provider of legal abortions.

My issue with the Susan G. Komen Foundation’s initial decision to terminate funds to Planned Parenthood is this: women’s accessibility to health care should not depend on the political beliefs of an organization’s board members. A foundation that is dedicated to eradicating breast cancer should do everything in its power to increase all women’s access to mammograms, breast exams, and educational programs. Breast cancer does not discriminate along party lines, and neither should breast cancer research, awareness, and treatment. 

If you choose to get involved in the fight to eliminate breast cancer once and for all (and we hope you do!), we encourage you to do this background research:

• Where do the funds go? What proportion of funds directly benefit breast cancer education, research, and treatment?
  • Are the organization’s values aligned with your personal beliefs?
  • What are the most effective ways to get involved with the organization? For example, do they have a more pressing need for volunteers to coordinate events (walks, screenings, etc.), or would they benefit most from a monetary donation?

Everybody deserves a full, cancer-free life. Join the cause today!

Ariel is a Her Campus contributing writer for Grinnell College from Alden, Minnesota.  She is a sophomore Sociology major, and intened Global Development Studies concetrator. She is a member of the women's basketball team, serves as a Senator for SGA, and is the president of Student-Athletes Leading Social Change. In her spare time, she enjoys traveling, volunteering, and obsessively cleaning.
Katy is the Her Campus Correspondent for Grinnell College. She is a junior psychology major and plans to go to graduate school for clinical psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys photography, skiing, shopping, expanding her music collection, traveling and of course, coming home to her dogs (and the rest of her family).