Emma Falley & Jen-Ai Notman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Grinnell chapter.

This week we selected our first double Campus Cuties! Emma and Jen-Ai aren’t just good friends– they also worked together to research and present original work (from a summer MAP in Ireland) at an Anthropology conference in Michigan last weekend. Read all about these kickass women below!

BASICS:

Name: Emma FalleyClass Year: [2015]Major: Anthropology and Religious StudiesHometown: Lafayette, IN (Currently live in Petaluma, CA)

TIME AT GRINNELL:

Best Moment: Outside of academics, I would have to say my diving season second year has been my atheltic highlight– when I broke a 6-dive record and qualified for Regionals in San Antonio, TX. Having my teammates and friends be so supportive of me was amazing.Other Exciting Activities: Captain and diver for women’s swimming/diving team, co-leader of Queer Athletes and Allies (QAA), and co-leader of Active MindsFavorite Prof: Currently Professor Jakubiak in EducationFavorite Theme Party: Disco (I own my own blonde afro wig)Embarrassing First-Year Moment: Sending a wink to my friend while leaving the dhall and having a random person think I was winking at them and seeing how uncomfortable they were…sorry to whomever that was.

LOVE LIFE:

Status: SingleDeal-Breakers: Flaky/Lack of loyaltyMost Attractive Quality in a Person: Willingness to be goofy/kind-heartedPost-Harris- Where Are You Headed? Either to my Cowles apartment with my wonderful apartmentmates or high street to hit up Fairgrounds/Cumfortzone.

MISCELLANEOUS:

Something People Don’t Know About You: I have successfully crocheted an afghan.Tell us all about your recent Anthropological conference?: I recently presented (with Jen-Ai Notman ’14, Allie Walker ’15, and Courtney Martin ’15) at the Academic Conference for Irish Studies in Michigan. It was on a MAP conducted this past summer with Professor Caulkins in the Anthropology department. We lived in Northern Ireland for 6 weeks over the summer to conduct our fieldwork. My research focused on organizations in a post-conflict society. I looked at non-profits that focused on cross-community engagement, reconciliation, and peace building.What was the most valuable information you gained by presenting at this conference?: Being able to show people research that we had been working on for months, and then receiving positive feedback. It was elating. I was pleasantly surprised at how supportive and interested the other conference presenters were.Whats next?: Hopefully I’ll be accepted to the two other conferences I’ve applied to for the Spring semester, and I’ll be off to Minneapolis and Pittsburgh to present!

BASICS:

Name: Jen-Ai NotmanClass Year: [2016]Major: PsychologyHometown: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

TIME AT GRINNELL:

Best Moment: Winning costume bingo during NSO (I started college off on a very high note).Other Exciting Activities: Meeting Emma FalleyFavorite Prof: Lee Running, she’s super passionate about paper fiber, and really anything art.Favorite Theme Party: 80s and DISCO (obviously).Embarrassing First-Year Moment: Embarrassing moments? Oh please, I was a classy first year. 

LOVE LIFE:

Status: In a relationshipDeal-Breakers: Untrustworthy, lack of ambition, and someone who’s just really not that funnyMost Attractive Quality in a Person: Luscious locksPost-Harris- Where Are You Headed? Most likely to sleep

MISCELLANEOUS:

Something People Don’t Know About You: I once fed a baby chick so many raisins that it’s stomach popped. Needless to say it died, and I was a traumatized small child. Tell us all about your recent Anthropological conference?: This past weekend we had the opportunity to present our summer research at the American Conference for Irish Studies (ACIS). It was interesting because it was a inter-disciplinary conference, so we got to listen in on sessions on a wide array of topics from children’s literature to historical pieces.What was the most valuable information you gained by presenting at this conference?: The idea of presenting in front of a crowd of middle-aged intellectuals was rather daunting. However, we all did fantastic and I feel like I gained a lot of academic confidence if that makes sense.Whats next?: After I graduate? Probably a combination of traveling and working for the first few years, and then perhaps grad school. I’ve still got a while to decide on all of that.

Dana Sherry is a Her Campus Contributing writer from Brooklyn, New York. She is a History major and a record-holding member of Grinnell's conference-winning swim team. Do not be fooled by the Lilly and bows: in her spare time, Dana is a dirty rap enthusiast and analyst. She also enjoys house music, interacting with small children and has an extensive collection of Essie and OPI nail polish that she (usually) does not mind sharing with her grateful friends. 
Katy is the Her Campus Correspondent for Grinnell College. She is a junior psychology major and plans to go to graduate school for clinical psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys photography, skiing, shopping, expanding her music collection, traveling and of course, coming home to her dogs (and the rest of her family).