This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Grinnell chapter.

[Author’s Note:] Along with Breast Cancer Awareness month, October also happens to be LGBTQ History and awareness month. Attending a school as liberal and supportive as Grinnell, I continually forget that outside of our bubble, those who do not fall into the hetero-norm often face prejudice and discrimination. Luckily for us, this week’s campus cutie, Ben Vaughn is one of our QAA (Queer Athlete Alliance) advocates turning Grinnell into a hub for awareness and equality. Beyond QAA, he is one of the nicest, funniest, most flexible – ugh, can we reminisce on the fabulousness that was Ben Vaughn at Drag Show PLEASE?- understanding people at Grinnell.

BASICS:

Name: Ben Vaughn, Jr.

Class Year: [2015]

Major: Gender, Women’s, and Sexuality Studies

Hometown: Columbia, Maryland

TIME AT GRINNELL:

Best Moment: Going out of the States for the first time on the Grinnell-in-London program with many of my friends.

Other Exciting Activities: Swimming and Diving Team/ Track and Field

Favorite Prof: Celeste Miller (Dance)

Favorite Theme Party: Beyoncé Gardner

Embarrassing First-Year Moment: I was in a class of 9 people in my second semester, and I fell into a deep sleep about 10 minutes into the class and woke up at the end. I was so tired that day.

LOVE LIFE:

Status: Single

Deal- Breakers: I like good conversation and a man with a humorous side, so a lack of either would kinda be a deal-breaker.

Most Attractive Quality in a Person: Bright Personality and Smile

Post-Harris- Where Are You Headed: Back to my house: The Fairgrounds

MISC:

Something People Don’t Know About You: I’m actually kinda shy…I mean plot-twist for most people, but it’s really difficult for me to start conversations or meet people. Even though I am very extroverted. I’m more comfortable when people approach me.

Silliest Thing You’ve Done at Grinnell: My first-year I was black Mario for Halloween with my friend Austin, who was black Luigi. It was one crazy Halloween party.

Advice for Incoming First-Years: You will feel like you have no time, but come second-year you will laugh at that sentiment, seriously. Go out and set aside time new experiences. I recommend going to every annual event and Harris because then you will know which events you like and don’t like, that way you won’t waste time in the future.

If there is anything Grinnellians take away from the education and actions that QAA provides, what would it be and why?: Queer Athletes and Allies, or QAA, is a group that is part of the Stonewall Resource Center (SRC) on campus that aims to spread the word that Grinnell athletics is an inclusive environment for everyone, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity, whether you are a student-athlete or a spectator. QAA exists as a resource for LGBTQ and Ally athletes, and we are available to discuss with teams or with individuals to talk about team culture and to ensure that everyone feels this way.

Tell us all about DRAG SHOW, where does the money go and why should everyone come out and support?:

In November we have our Queer Cultures Week, kicked off by our Semesterly Drag Show. It is a great night full of amazing performances from such a diverse group of people from so many different areas of the school! We always want to make sure students feel free to bring money of any denomination to give during the performances because this is a charity event (last year I got a $20 check during my performance O_O). All of the proceeds go straight to Central Iowa Family Planning here in Grinnell, they provide services generally free of charge to students and other low-income individuals, such as STD, UTI, HIV, Breast and Testicular Cancer testings, as well as general family planning and birth control options. It is a great way to help out a center that definitely helps out our students in the way they do! So come out and watch, and whether you choose to donate or not, do come out because it is a wonderful experience.​

[Author’s Note: TOO FABULOUS! Also, shout out to last week’s Campus Celebrity: Maddy Pesch ’16 and former cutie, Michael Brus ‘ 14, for also being fierce in this photo.]

Dana Sherry is a Her Campus Contributing writer from Brooklyn, New York. She is a History major and a record-holding member of Grinnell's conference-winning swim team. Do not be fooled by the Lilly and bows: in her spare time, Dana is a dirty rap enthusiast and analyst. She also enjoys house music, interacting with small children and has an extensive collection of Essie and OPI nail polish that she (usually) does not mind sharing with her grateful friends. 
Katy is the Her Campus Correspondent for Grinnell College. She is a junior psychology major and plans to go to graduate school for clinical psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys photography, skiing, shopping, expanding her music collection, traveling and of course, coming home to her dogs (and the rest of her family).