Advice for the Best Friend of a Dumpee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Grinnell chapter.

#NOJUDGEMENTZONE

• There is no wrong way to deal with a break up. If they need to cry and watch Netflix all day, be the one to make sure that they get up to go to class, then tuck them back into bed afterwards.
  • If they want to burn through Tinder like:  be there with a baggie of condoms, and reminder lectures about consent and safety.

• If they want to act like nothing is wrong, let them.

You may think they are doing it all wrong. That they need to cry and split a bottle of crappy pink moscato and a tub of chocolate chip cookie dough with you, don’t push them. They are questioning enough of themselves and their life right now. Be the person that has their back. And if they are like:

Give them a wake up call

The Sky is Falling

It’s a big deal. Harry and Ginny couldn’t make it because of Ginny’s illustrious Quidditch career, while Alex and Piper got in a giant prison fight because Piper couldn’t keep it in her neon orange pants, and Kurt and Blaine sang “Someone Like You” to each other in a performance we all know reflected their real-life relationship.

Even if it feels like:

Keep in mind that they are mourning the loss of a huge part of their life. Be there. Don’t let them isolate themselves. Validate that it sucks right now, and GENTLY remind them that everything is going to be okay. 

Remind Them They Have People

Do something that reminds them that they are loved and have a support network.

This anonymous note was found with a box of Girl Scout cookies. The recipient had no idea who wrote the note, but could think of several people it could have been. #allhailtheBreakUpGoddesses

Third year 'MURICA major (double in history and political science) at Grinnell college. Resident Rum Fairy and Pub Queen. Hail from the land of Tom Brady. 
Dana Sherry is a Her Campus Contributing writer from Brooklyn, New York. She is a History major and a record-holding member of Grinnell's conference-winning swim team. Do not be fooled by the Lilly and bows: in her spare time, Dana is a dirty rap enthusiast and analyst. She also enjoys house music, interacting with small children and has an extensive collection of Essie and OPI nail polish that she (usually) does not mind sharing with her grateful friends.