Campus Celebrity: Taylor Moss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Griffith Gold Coast chapter.

TAYLOR MOSS

Name: Taylor Moss

School/Year: Griffith University, 2nd year

Major: Bachelor Popular Music

Hometown: Ulladulla, NSW Australia (3 hours south Sydney) It’s a really small cute town by the water

Activities/Clubs: I was in a band while in high school and now when I do festival gig’s with for my original performances I play with my band. Another activity of mine, is I often baby sit kids and while looking after then, I teach them some guitar or how to sing!

When did you start singing/how did you get started? I started singing at the age of 3! Was always dancing around the TV singing theme songs. My most favourite was the Australian Soap Opera ‘Home and Away’. I used to sing it all the time, Mum has told me! I then started singing in home town competitions and winning a few. My latest inspiration to write my songs and pursue my music career, is my young uncle, of only 29 I lost in a car accident (along with his pregnant partner) He sang and played guitar and everything I do in the industry, he is always in my mind and heart. I live and breath my career and will continue to try and grow everyday.

How many instruments can you play?I play 3 Instruments. Acoustic guitar, Piano and the triangle! There’s a bit of a story behind that one. Well….In the school choir, everyone was playing flute and Sax ect. There were already several guitarist, so I got given the grand role of playing the triangle. I even had a solo to ‘Ding’ it once. Trust me, it’s harder then it looks What are your plans for your future? My future plans, are to finish my Degree at University and continue to write as many songs as I can. Release another CD and another single. Maybe one day, go study abroad in Nashville, Tennessee. I guess, I’m just riding the way my singing takes me. I guess, I just never know where I’ll land my feet.

Tell us about your favorite song you have ever written? My fav song I’ve written is ‘Center Stage’ It’s my recent single. It’s a very honest song about my experience with ‘Love’ Yes, I do write a lot of my songs about love. BUT, it’s relative to most people. Who hasn’t had there heart broken?! Film clip has recently been released as well. It’s a girl (me) and a guy playing the part of breaking my heart. It was lot’s of fun filming, as It’s so easy to just start laughing!!

Do you have any advice/tips for anyone who is interested in becoming a singer? I live with the motto ‘The world is your oyster’ There are so many opportunities in life that are presented to us on a regular basis, sometimes we just ignore them and they pass us by, or others that grab our full attention. I would just say, soak up everything! Everyone you meet, even if you might not see it. They are all teaching us a lesson. Be good or bad! Put all of your experiences into songs and stay honest and humble!

What’s the most embarrassing moment you have had on stage? I can’t say of yet, I’ve had a super embarrassing moment, YET! Haha. But just one I can think of was forgetting the words while I was singing the song ‘Wonderwall’ everyone knows the lyrics to that song!!

Give us one fun fact about you! I love Olives!! I go to the shops often and buy a jar. I know it’s slightly weird, but you know. It’s what make us individual

Lastly, if you could pick next week’s campus celebrity, who would it be and why? I would pick, Elliott Hahn. He is an amazing blues guitarist! Lived in NZ his whole life and would be great to have a chat with him!

Gennifer Davidson

Griffith Gold Coast