sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Should Put Yourself and Your Happiness First

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

You should put yourself and your happiness first. 

Now this isn’t to say that we should all be selfish, conceeded, and have no care for the feelings of others. We should always be considerate of others and their feelings whenever possible. However, I am saying sometimes you have to put yourself first. At the end of the day, you only have one life and you are in the driver’s seat – you can make your life whatever you want it to be. With that in mind, I would like to argue that you should not be afraid to put yourself first; physically, emotionally, socially, you should be your number one priority because at the end of the day, if you are not happy with what you are doing or whom you are spending your time with, you are going to feel cheated and it can be taxing to feel as though you are wasting your time. 

Why?

1. Life is too short to worry about “coulda, shoulda, woulda” 

So you’re experiencing a breakup, you got a failing grade on an exam, and can’t seem to catch a break lately. As much as these things may hurt, its important to remember things happen for a reason and there is no sense dwelling on “what could have been” if only one thing had gone differently. Trust me, you will drive yourself insane thinking like that. Life is too short to worry about “what could have been”. Instead, take these things in stride, learn from your mistakes, and focus on improving other aspects of your life. 

2. If you have goals, go out and achieve them

Want to study abroad in a foreign country? Do it! Want to move to New York City to pursue your dream career? Go for it! Want to start your own business in your living room? More power to you! If you have life goals and things you want to achieve, you shouldn’t let anyone hold you back. Those who truly love you and want to be part of your life will support you in any venture you choose, so don’t be afraid to chase those goals and passions!

3. You can’t please everybody

You probably have heard this one time and time again: “You can’t please everyone.” Well, its true what they say! Contrary to popular belief, life is not about pleasing everyone. In fact, are you really living an authentic life if all you ever do is suck up to people and do whatever they say? Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but just keep in mind that you don’t have to live your life to please people. Be your own person, do what you love and do your own thing. 

4. Only you can save yourself

No one is going to do the work for you. A knight in shining armor isn’t going to come swoop you off of your feet. You’re all you’ve got, babe. So take the time and do the work for yourself and you will reap the benefits – hard work really does pay off. 

5.  You can’t change the world, but you sure can change yourself

The only way you can help the world be a better place is by being a better person. Plain and simple. Everyone wants to change the way of the world, but many aren’t willing to start with themselves.

6. You are not disregarding the needs of others

Just because you put your own needs first doesn’t mean you’re disregarding others. Even if you try to understand why they need what they need, you will no doubt realize it’s impossible to do so. You will come to the realization that catering to others can only make you spiteful and resentful. Life is all about compromise.

7. You have to take care of yourself first

It’s in our nature to be selfish. We often don’t to things unless we can get something out of them, so take care of your needs first. Only when you’re taken care of can you take care of others too. Helping others is great, but don’t drive yourself into the ground doing things for others while neglecting to take time for yourself. 

Please don’t forget to consider yourself and your wishes. At the end of the day, your happiness should be as important if not more important than the happiness of those you love. 

Kristen Jost

Gonzaga '19

Kristen is a senior at Gonzaga University studying a communication and promotion. She is a social media coordinator for her chapter as well as an executive board member and founding member. After college, she hopes to travel before settling down to work for a marketing firm that specializes in sports and higher education branding. Her hobbies include: watching sporting events, wandering around book stores, drinking too much coffee, discovering new places, and staying active outdoors.