Why GU Will Never Feel Any Less Than #1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Sadly, the stories are true. Gonzaga lost to BYU this past weekend, dropping us from #1 in the nation to #4.  While this may seem to be devastating for us Zags (let’s be honest, I cried), we should continue to celebrate and believe that we are still #1.

For all of us students here at Gonzaga University, we are a family that definitely can be regarded as number one in the nation.  Throughout this triumphant men’s basketball season, we have proven this well-known stigma of community amongst each other.  With every victory, we have celebrated amongst strangers, cheered alongside classmates, and shown the spirit of our ever-loving community throughout the popular cycle of media surrounding our university.  Even through the tears and sadness of our loss, we became stronger as a student body, still continuing to show our utmost respect for our players while displaying amazing dignity in regards to our defeat.  A family is the people you know always show love and support, even in the worst times. Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind.

We will always remember the amazing strength and drive that our team displayed throughout the season, and we will continue to be inspired by the determination that only a number one team could give us.  The excitement and spirit our team showed this season reflected upon our student section.  On the flip side, the motivation that came with our impeccable student section was a perfect representation of the love we have for our team, regardless of the standings.  As Gonzaga students, we will continue to bring the same spirit that has been showcased throughout this season, and nothing less.  Our support for each other on and off the court will always be the best in the nation.

Finally, Gonzaga University should never feel any less than number one because of the home that we have created.  The GU home could relate to many things for many people.  Whether you find your sense of home in the people around you, an evening of tenting through the winter nights while you wait for a front row seat, or going crazy over that tenth 3-point shot, I believe we can all call Gonzaga (you know, that small school in Eastern Washington?)…

our “number one in the nation HOME”.