This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

“What’s your major?”

This is a question that we are asked all the time. “What are you studying?” “What do you want to be?” “WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR?” When you ask yourself this as a freshman, being undeclared isn’t so terribly daunting. You’ve got all the time in the world to proclaim what you want to study.  But as you reach this time of year as a sophomore, the decision making deadline is coming, and coming fast.  Here are some things to think about when it comes to selecting your major.

You are not alone. The first day of the semester nearly every professor will have each student in the room include your major into your introduction to the class like it’s your middle name.  And as we sit there waiting to be called upon in alphabetical order, we listen to our peers and notice that most people seem to have the perfect answer to that question. They spew out their double majors and triple minors like they have everything all figured out. However, just because they’re saying a major out loud does NOT mean that it is all set in stone. A lot of people don’t know, even if they say they do.  And there a hundreds of students on this campus who are all trying to find their place, too. Seriously, you’re not alone.

It’s okay to test the waters. How will you know if you like something or not if you don’t at least give it a try? Take electives in all the majors you’re considering. Play dress up with some introductory classes and see how they fit. And if you make a decision and end up changing your mind, it’s okay to switch majors. Learning is learning.  Even if you don’t end up having a job that directly relates to those classes, don’t feel like you wasted time and effort because you changed your course of study. The knowledge you gained will stick with you. Who knows when it will come in handy?

Don’t be afraid to ask around.  Talk to your friends, but don’t count on them for making your future’s decisions.  They are not you, and their path may not be yours, but they may be able to help you find it! Also, professors and department chairs can be extremely helpful in explaining what their field is all about and helping you decide if it’s the right fit. Stop by their office hours or send them an email! They’ll be more than willing to assist.

Finally, finding your major is not a matter of life or death. I know it may seem like the end of the world when you’re 20 credits in and decide you just cant follow through with the other 16 or so you need because you dread the classes you’re taking.  And I know this could determine the jobs you get and the course your life may follow.  But it is NOT everything.  And more often than not, employers want well-rounded people who have a little knowledge in a lot of things over people who only studied that one major the whole time. So take a deep breath and keep on keepin’ on. It will all be okay in the end.

Her Campus - Gonzaga Writer and PR/Events Coordinator. Full time baking enthusiast, donut connoisseur, and proud member of Taylor Swift's Regime since 2006. Actress. Dancer. Singer/Songwriter. 
Natalie is a co-campus correspondent at Gonzaga University. She is currently a sophomore studying public relations with a minor in writing. Her ultimate life goal is to write and publish a best seller. Aside from the runnings of Her Campus Gonzaga, Natalie enjoys reading, shopping, Netflix, volunteering, and hanging out with her friends.