What Every Perfectionist Needs to Hear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

From one perfectionist to another, here are some lessons that I have learned over the years that I feel can be helpful to others too. 

• There is not one definition of perfect, in fact, perfection is simply a manifestation 

• You and your work are sufficient ​

• Trying to reach a certain standard of perfection causes stress that you just don’t need in your life

• Embrace spontaneity. It’s okay to want things to be a certain way, but never forget to revel in the chaos of life

• Being a perfectionist and having OCD are two different things. Being a perfectionist is not a disorder

• You can’t let your perfectionist tendancies consume you. At a certain point “good enough” has to be good enough, as long as you tried your best

• Being a perfectionist isn’t always a bad thing; it usually means you have an excellent eye for detail and do very meticulous work – something that employers love!

Perfectionism can be a good thing, but it can also be exhausting. Personally, a lot of weight has been lifted off of my shoulders by learning to be a little more carefree. I hope others can relate!

Kristen Jost

Gonzaga '19

Kristen is a senior at Gonzaga University studying a communication and promotion. She is a social media coordinator for her chapter as well as an executive board member and founding member. After college, she hopes to travel before settling down to work for a marketing firm that specializes in sports and higher education branding. Her hobbies include: watching sporting events, wandering around book stores, drinking too much coffee, discovering new places, and staying active outdoors.