samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ups and Downs of GU When No One Is Here

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Pros and Cons of GU When NO ONE is here, As Told By A Girl Stuck on Campus for Spring Break

Hey there Zags!  Gonzaga may have become like a second home for a lot of us undergraduate scholars, but for me it’s always kind of been my first.  I grew up in Spokane, WA with my mom as a professor at this fine institution, and had plentiful weekends and afterschool hours spent here on campus.  Now that I’m a student, however, I really never leave because it feels rather silly to pack a duffle bag for a week to vacay 10 minutes away from the rest of your closet. So here are 6 pros, and cons, I’ve found while living at GU now that it’s deserted and everyone is off to sunnier and brighter places.  (Yes… it’s still raining and grey here.)

1. PRO: You can drive down Sharp and NEVER have to stop at a crosswalk. 

CON: Cars are less likely to stop for you, since you’re a lone wolf trying to get to the other side. And they may even drive by going 15mph over the speed limit and spraying you with dirty puddle water. (This tragic event is based on a true story featuring me.)

2.PRO: It is way easier to find a seat to study at the Hamilton Starbucks.

CON: The Hemmingson Starbucks was closed all weekend so RIP real money and let us all take a moment of silence to appreciate Bulldog Bucks.

3.PRO: LESS PEOPLE AT THE GYM WATCHING ME SWEAT AND BE HORRIBLY UNCOMFORTABLE.

CON: The gym has weird hours when the majority of students are gone.

4.PRO: There are SO many open rooms in College Hall to study in.

CON: There’s no reason to study…

5.PRO: You have all this free time to go play outside and do fun things and get to do whatever you want to do.

CON:  It’s been raining since break started and you’re a broke college student with no money to do all the things.

6. CON: Getting locked out of your room is really the worst when your RA, RD, and roommates are ALL on vacation. 

PRO: Ya know, actually there was no pro in this situation. 

In the end, campus is cool when you have it to yourself, but it’s so much better when everything is in full swing and complelty occupied. So have a safe Spring Break, Zags, so that we can all be together soon and make Gonzaga what it truly is: home for all of us. 

*All gifs are courtesy of giphy.com

Her Campus - Gonzaga Writer and PR/Events Coordinator. Full time baking enthusiast, donut connoisseur, and proud member of Taylor Swift's Regime since 2006. Actress. Dancer. Singer/Songwriter.