Top 10 Christmas Songs to Get You in the Holiday Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Thanksgiving is over, so you know what that means… CHRISTMAS! I know that many of you have already been listening to Christmas music for weeks. But for me, I can’t fully commit to Christmas until after the turkey. As Buddy the Elf says, the best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear, so I present my 10 favorite songs to listen to in order to get into the holiday spirit!

1. Santa Claus is Coming to Town–Bruce Springsteen

My absolute favorite version of a Christmas classic. I blast this song and jam on my air guitar while I dance around my room. The rock and roll quality of Springsteen’s version perfectly encapsulates the post-finals excitement that occurs right at the start of break.

Favorite Line: “Everybody out there been good, or what? Oh, that’s not many, not many, you guys are in trouble out here!”

2. All I Want for Christmas is You–Mariah Carey

No one can sing like Mariah Carey, but when this song comes on, everyone belts out every note, no matter how out of tune. If Mariah’s version of this song is not your favorite, then you, my friend, are wrong. This is for sure another emergency dance party Christmas song. 

Favorite Line: “And everyone is singing I hear those sleigh bells ringing, Santa, won’t you bring me the one I really need?”

3. The Christmas Shoes–NewSong

I cry every time I listen to this song, without fail. Granted, I am a crier, but this song really gets me. It’s about a man in a store on Christmas Eve, in line behind a little boy who doesn’t have enough money to buy a pair of shoes for his dying mother. This song goes past the materialistic event that Christmas has become, and really gets at the true meaning of Christmas.

Favorite Line: “And I want her to look beautiful, if mama meets Jesus tonight.”

4. Heaven Everywhere–Francesca Battistelli

This is another warm and fuzzy song. It’s not about Santa, or reindeer, or sleigh rides. It’s about how the Christmas season changes something in us. It recognizes that Christmas is more than just presents and ornaments. Whether the season brings religious meaning or not, there’s no denying there is a little bit more joy and hope in the world during this time of year.

Favorite Line: “It’s the grace that we show to a world that needs hope, it’s giving our lives knowing they’re not our own, it’s the joy that we feel and the love that we share, there’s a little bit of heaven everywhere.”

5. That’s Christmas to Me–Pentatonix

First of all, the voices of Pentatonix are angelic. Any song, Christmas or otherwise, I would highly recommend, ten out of ten. This particular song is amazing. It makes me think of all the things that remind you of Christmas, and makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. 

Favorite Line: “Oh, the joy that fills our hearts and makes us see. Oh, why? ‘Cause that’s Christmas to me.”

6. Baby it’s Cold Outside–Leon Redbone & Zooey Deschanel 

Another classic, but my favorite is the version from the Elf soundtrack. First of all, Elf is my favorite Christmas movie of all time. Second, listening to this song makes me long for a person to snuggle by the fire with who will convince me to stay a little longer because the weather is simply too miserable for me to leave. 

Favorite Line: “(I wish I knew how) Your eyes are like starlight now (To break this spell)”

7. Merry Christmas Darling–Leslie Odom Jr. 

This guy is the original portrayal of Aaron Burr from the Broadway phenomenon ‘Hamilton’. He’s a triple threat: he can sing, he can dance, he can act. His angelic rendition of this beautiful Christmas ballad gives me goose bumps. 

Favorite Line: “Holidays are joyful, there’s always something new. But every day’s a holiday when I’m near to you.”

8. On This Winter’s Night–Lady Antebellum

A super sweet song by a group of amazing artists. This is another Christmas song that’s not in-your-face Chrsitmas-y. It focuses more on the small things that are made extra special by the holiday season. 

Favorite Line: “But here in my arms I’ll keep you warm and hold you tight, on this winter’s night.” 

9. Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time–Paul McCartney

When I listen to this song, I think of when I was little and my family would drive around looking at all the houses with their various Christmas lights and decorations all lit up. It’s a song that brings me so much joy, and puts me in a very festive mood. 

Favorite Line: “The party’s on, the feeling’s here, that only comes, this time of year.”

10. Sleigh Ride–Harry Connick, Jr. 

Any of Harry Connick, Jr’s Christmas songs are fantastic, and it was definitely a 3-way tie between this song, “I Pray on Christmas”, and “(It Must Have Been Ol’) Santa Claus”. He has a very jazzy sound, which is something I don’t normally listen to. Plus, his voice is beautiful, and I love his original Christmas songs as much as I love his covers of the originals. 

Favorite Line: “Our cheeks are nice and rosy and comfy cozy are we. We’re snuggled up together like two birds of a feather would be.”

Happy Holiday season, Zags!

Portland native with a passion for people & words.
Macy Conant

Gonzaga '18

Student and Correspondent at Gonzaga University from Denver, Colorado. Major: Communications. Loves writing blogs posts, reading, spending time in little coffee shops, mentoring high school girls and wearing bright red lipstick.