This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Everyone has their own reasons for eating with or without dairy in their diet. Some people are lactose intolerant, some are allergic to dairy, and still others choose to go without it. Being dairy free here at GU can be hard, but here are my recommendations for finding food!

Breakfast

The COG always has oatmeal with different toppings, which you can use to create any number of combinations! They have eggs and omelets as well, but make sure to ask and make sure there is no cheese or other dairy product used in its preparation. If you want to get food for your dorm, some flavors of Kellogg’s Pop-Tarts are dairy free!

Lunch/Dinner

The COG has several options that are always dairy free. To start, Simple Servings always avoids dairy and other allergens in their food, so you can always find food there. Zagriculture is going dairy free this year to be more vegan (and dairy-free) friendly! Mongolian Grill is also dairy free. Finally, if none of that sounds good to you, they do have cereal – plus, there’s a new almond milk dispenser in the COG just for us dairy-free folks! You can always talk to staff if you are confused about what you are and are not able to eat with your restriction.

Dessert

Finding desserts that are dairy free can be a serious challenge! I do have a few go-tos: First, I love to make chia seed pudding. It is extremely easy, and the pudding will pick up whatever flavor you add to it. For every ounce of chia seeds, add 6 ounces of liquid of your choice (I like to use almond milk and coconut milk). You can also add flavors like pumpkin spice, if you’re feeling a little adventurous! Combine them in a container with a lid, and let them sit together overnight. My other favorite desserts are Oreos and Outshine bars! Oreos are vegan, and therefore dairy free, and most Outshine bars don’t contain dairyeither. Finally, Jell-O is always a good way to go!

Happy Snacking, my dairy-free friends!