Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Time’s Up: Hollywood Stars Teaming Up Against Sexual Assault

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

This week on campus is Sexual Assault Awareness Action Week, a major week in Gonzaga’s recognition of Sexual Assault Awareness Month. In relation to the important issue of sexual assault, a group of 300 women in Hollywood have decided enough is enough. Their goals are to help young women struggling with these problems of abuse and sexual harassment, especially in Hollywood. They want to represent women of all backgrounds to combat this issue and work on creating legislation to fix the problem.  The group, named Time’s Up, has also created a legal defense that is aimed to help women report any harassment or assault. 

To jumpstart the Time’s Up movement, women were encouraged to wear all black at the Golden Globes in an effort to bring notice to the sexual harassment affecting women everywhere. There were also pins worn to the Golden Globes emblazoned with the movement’s title advocating for men and women to participate in standing up against sexual assault in Hollywood. This group wants to not only help women have the confidence to fight for the issue but remind those that have suffered that they are not alone. This movement is just beginning and for the perpetrators out there, Time’s Up has made it clear there will be consequences.  

On their website, where you can also donate to the cause, they have listed facts about the terrorizing truth of sexual abuse and how many women are effected. Time’s Up has acknowledged that nearly half the women in the United States have had an experience of harassment in the workplace and this is unacceptable. 

The Time’s Up website also lists many ways you as an individual can get involved to end the harassment that has taken over professional industries including links to resources that can help those who you know may have been or are being sexually harassed. 

Sexual harassment is a serious issue that has been underlying many industries for too long and now Time’s Up has brought many famous faces to the table whom are not backing down to this fight.  

If you or anyone you know has been affected by sexual harassment or assault, we hope you know you aren’t alone.  And this movement is not over until everyone gets to share their story, and Time’s Up hopes to be the first of many stepping stones to make this process easier.