This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Hello Zags! We are back at it again this week now that Spring Break is officially over. Congratulations, we’ve gotten the first Monday out of the way!  While it is always fun to come back to campus and see your friends, there are definitely things about going home for break that you will miss.  Here are just a few of those things that will take some readjustment once you are back on campus. 

The Weather

If you live somewhere colder, like Spokane, this may not be all that hard to adjust to. However, for those of you Californians and Arizonians out there, you probably absolutely hate this weather right about now. Never fear, spring is just around the corner . . . well, hopefully. You never really know with this 509 weather.

Ice Cubes and Water

This may sound dumb, but having ice cubes in your water is so much more convenient when you’re at home and they’re right there and ready to go when you need them.  In dorm life, you have to fill up those silly little ice cube trays, actually wait for them to freeze and then fight with them to get them out and they’re just not the same as the ones your fridge magically conjures up at home.  And no need for Britas at home! Yikes. First world problems, but definitely something I take for granted when I’m at home.

Late Night Food

Sure, there are fast food restaurants open and you can always go buy food from the horribly overpriced Safeway; however, there’s nothing quite like knowing that after your 2 a.m. marathon Netflix binge you will have a nice meal waiting to be heated up in your freezer and an abundance of snacks in your pantry for FREE!  It’s the little things in life, folks.

PETS

This isn’t a little thing; actually, this is a big one.  The loves of our lives are back at home waiting for us to return. Nothing is quite as sad as seeing their little faces as we carry our luggage out the door, disappointing them yet again.  Don’t worry furry friends; we’ll be back soon! It’s a Jesuit institution so Easter Break is comin’ up, after all!!!

Laundry

Whether you’re #blessed and your mom is kind enough to do it for you, or you’re willing to do it on your own, laundry is always 100 times easier when you are in your own home.  There is no need to wait for random strangers to finish doing their loads so that you can start yours, and there are no awkward adventures in moving other people’s wet clothes from the washer to the dryer and trying not to notice the SpongeBob underwear that made an unnecessary appearance.  We’ve all been there…

Your Own Room

Unless you share a room with a sibling, going home to your own space can be a major luxury.  Coming back to a room with another human being there 24/7 can be kind of hard to readjust to.  But your roommate is still pretty great though, right?

Finally, Family

Yes, they can be annoying, and yes, they drive us crazy sometimes, but you’ve got to admit there’s nothing quite as nice as a hug from your mom, some terrible dad jokes, and a good ole’ fight with your siblings.  Home is where the heart is.  And homesickness may be upon us as the year draws to an end, but welcome to the home stretch! There is light at the end of this tunnel. These little luxuries await us long-term on the other side! Stay strong my friends. 

Her Campus - Gonzaga Writer and PR/Events Coordinator. Full time baking enthusiast, donut connoisseur, and proud member of Taylor Swift's Regime since 2006. Actress. Dancer. Singer/Songwriter. 
Natalie is a co-campus correspondent at Gonzaga University. She is currently a sophomore studying public relations with a minor in writing. Her ultimate life goal is to write and publish a best seller. Aside from the runnings of Her Campus Gonzaga, Natalie enjoys reading, shopping, Netflix, volunteering, and hanging out with her friends.