Standing Together, Stopping the Hate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

In the wake of recent events, I think it’s really important to remember some of the basic things we’ve been taught since we were children.

Treat those with the same respect you would want. Love your neighbor. If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all.

These lessons have been engraved in most of us since we could understand what they really mean. We were taught them for a reason! In times where it’s difficult to love the person next to you, remembering the lessons we were taught are crucial to being a mature and respectful human being. 

With that being said, the hatred that has been spreading around the country, is deplorable.

Now, I do not agree with the President-Elect, as just about everything he has said has been insanely offensive. However, I do not agree with all the hatred that has been directed towards his supporters. 

Part of the reason I don’t like our future President, and his supporters, is because of all the hatred they have spread and supported.

However, by spreading hate in retaliation, we put ourselves on the same level as them. We become deplorable ourselves. 

Open discussion, standing in solidarity, and recognizing the privileges that we have that others may not have- that’s how we can fight for what we believe in. Silent protesting is admirable. Hateful, violent speech is not.

Nevertheless, do not hesitate to stand up for yourself, others, and marginalized groups of people. What he supports is the furthest thing from presidential, however, this doesn’t mean we have to act unpresidential ourselves. 

Macy Conant

Gonzaga '18

Student and Correspondent at Gonzaga University from Denver, Colorado. Major: Communications. Loves writing blogs posts, reading, spending time in little coffee shops, mentoring high school girls and wearing bright red lipstick.