This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Warning: Content of article may be disturbing and difficult to read.

—–

It was just another weekday in America. The streets of New York City were filled with cars and people going about their daily routines, heading to work or school. It was just another regular Tuesday morning, until four planes were hijacked by terrorists.  

At 8:46 a.m., on September 11th, 2001, the north tower of the World Trade Center was struck by an airplane. Only seventeen minutes later, a second airplane was flown into the south tower. At 9:37 a.m., a third plane crashed into the west side of the Pentagon, followed by a fourth plane crash at 10:03 a.m. in a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania3.

Panic and fear circulated throughout the United States while New York city, the Washington D.C. area and Pennsylvania were in chaos. Toxic debris and ash from the collapse of the Twin Towers covered what is now known as Ground Zero, the headquarters of the U.S. Department of Defense collapsed, and 44 people aboard Flight 93 faced death as they crashed into a field2.

These horrific attacks were administered by Osama bin Laden and carried out by nineteen men, resulting in the murder of nearly 3,000 people. 343 firefighters, 23 police officers and 37 Port Authority police officers died during their efforts to save those affected by the terrorist attacks1.

Years later, it is extremely evident to see how 9/11 has shaped our perspective as a nation on security and self-defense. Changes were implemented almost immediately.

More than 130 works of legislation that were related to 9/11 were introduced, 48 of which became laws4. Congress passed a new act only two months after the attack, which created new, stricter procedures regarding luggage and passenger inspection.

Today, many people still deal with the aftermath of 9/11. Illnesses and deaths due to the toxins found in the debris and ash from the Twin Towers are increasing, family members and those who survived struggle with PTSD.

Although it happened sixteen years ago, no matter how hard it is, we as a nation must never forget the event that has become part of the foundation for national security and unity.

We at Her Campus Gonzaga are sending thoughts prayers to all that continue to be affected by this tragic event.

—–

1″9/11 Death Statistics.” Statistic Brain, Statistic Brain, 1 Aug. 2016, www.statisticbrain.com/911-death-statistics/.

2History.com. “9/11 Attacks.” History.com, A&E Networks, 2010, www.history.com/topics/9- 11-attacks.

3″September 11 Timeline: A Chronology Of The Key Events That Shaped 9/11.” The Huffington

Post, The Huffington Post, 11 Sept. 2013, www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/11/septemb

Er-11-timeline_n_3901837.html.

4Villemez, Jason. “9/11 to now: Ways we have changed.” PBS Newshour, PBS, 14 Sept. 2011,

www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/911-to-now-ways-we-have-changed/