Reflecting on One Year Since a Tragic Death

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

About a year ago I lost someone very dear to me.  Although I hadn’t talked to this person as adamantly as I had in prior years, he left an impact on who I am as a person that will affect me for the rest of my life.  On September 26, 2015 I lost my ex-boyfriend, my high school sweetheart, my first love. My situation felt strange and confusing.  Someone so young with so much life ahead of them had been taken so suddenly, but at times I felt like I didn’t deserve to feel sadness because we were no longer in a relationship when the event occurred.  In the long run this created more damage for myself, and I learned that mourning for such a tragic loss was acceptable for anyone, no matter the type of relationship you thought you had when a person you once cared for passes on.

Immediately after I heard the news I fell into a downward spiral of sadness.  I flew home the next day to be surrounded by people I could share stories with and who knew this special person on the same level that I had.  When going home for the funeral I learned there were many feelings between us left unsaid, and many opportunities left untaken.  Because of this I lived in regret, thinking “why didn’t he ever tell me how he felt” or “what could I have done in order to fix what we once had.”  After reflecting on it for a year, I have come to realize that there isn’t anything I should have done, but rather the way I live my life now to make him proud and continue to do so in order to live out his legacy.  The path which I am on currently has a lot to do with this person who is so important to me, and whenever I feel myself struggling I have the ability to remind myself how blessed I am to be attending such a beautiful university, be supported by a loving family, be surrounded by incredible friends, and even that I am given the ability to breathe each and every day. 

To this day I feel remorse about the way our relationship on earth ended, and I sometimes re-enter that dark place of sadness which seems so difficult to get out of.  When I get to that point I remind myself of all my blessings, and of all the amazing memories my high school sweetheart and I shared.  I remind myself that if our positions were switched I would want him to continue with his life and be successful and happy.  I pray to him for strength nearly every day, and often he grants me just that.  Although this situation is not something I would wish upon anyone, I have realized it has made me grateful to merely be alive and partake in the small things in life.  I will continue to live, love, and be loved.  I will carry on a legacy that one incredible boy began, and until we have the opportunity to meet again, I hope to make him proud.  

Sociology major and wanting to help make the world a better place!
Macy Conant

Gonzaga '18

Student and Correspondent at Gonzaga University from Denver, Colorado. Major: Communications. Loves writing blogs posts, reading, spending time in little coffee shops, mentoring high school girls and wearing bright red lipstick.