mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

To the People Feeling Personally Affected by the Kavanaugh Hearing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

** Warning: Political and Controversial

On September 27th, 2018 Dr. Christine Ford accused Supreme Court Nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her in the summer of 1982 during a party. This ran live across every news station in the country as millions of people tuned in to watch the hearing of soon-to-be Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh. There were emotions on every side, with people at home being strongly affected with what was said and what was happening during the hearing. With the aftermath of the hearing, people have been accusing sexual assault survivors, both men and women, for taking the whole situation too personally. I am here to say, don’t listen. To those who have experienced sexual assault of any form, it is alright to feel an emotional attachment to the process because it can feel so close to home. 

I think it is important for many to realize that this wasn’t a trial at court to prove innocent or guilty, it was a job interview to see if he was fit to hold one of the highest positions in our country – a supreme court justice. This means that the 49 Senators voted even though Kavanaugh is the most unpopular person to be elevated to the nation’s highest court in recent history was going to stop them. This leads to the question – is our government still “for the people, by the people” if they are going against  what the people are asking for? 

The people that are complaining about the emotional responses that people had due hearing Dr. Ford’s testimony need to understand that they are watching their government prove that sexual assault in our country is not a high enough priority to exclude someone from a position of great power. The victims in our country are watching a woman speak out and stand up against all those opposing her, and immediately get ignored. 

For those of you who are wanting to speak out against Kavanaugh being confirmed, the best way to do so is voting. Mid-term elections are November 6th, and the Senators who voted in favor of Kavanguh that are up for re-election are:

John Barrasso (Wyo.)

Ted Cruz (Tex.)

Deb Fischer (Nerb.

Deal Heller (Nev.)

Roger Wicker (Miss.)

Cindy Hyde-Smith (Miss.)

Joe Mamchin (WYa.)

If you are not sure you’re registered to vote, go to this website: http://vote.gov