With the official Gonzaga Christmas tree lighting, the holiday season has *officially* begun! That means its time to procrastinate your final projects, essays, and studying and watch Christmas movies on an endless loop! Here are a few of my favorites…
1. ‘White Christmas’, to me, encapsulates the Christmas season. Growing up, my mom would put it on when we were decorating the tree and writing up our Christmas cards. It is a story of friendship and comradery, love and faith. It follows the story of two ex-soldiers turned musical act who meet a pair of equally musical sisters who they end up traveling with in anticipation of a tandem performance. After boarding the wrong train, they all end up in Vermont at the failing lodge of the soldiers old army general. To help him stay afloat, they organize a show in hopes of drawing a crowd and raising both money and awareness for the lodge. Their journey to success is full of twists and turns sure to keep you on your toes, but ultimately, it is a truly delightful film and worth every minute. Starring performers Bing Crosby (who went to GU!), Danny Kaye, and Rosemary Clooney, the soundtrack is sure to get you in the holiday spirit!
2. ‘It’s A Wonderful Life’ is another one of those movies that gets me right in the holiday spirit. Similar to White Christmas, it is a story of love but there is also a heavy dash of hope. It is the story of a downtrodden businessman who attempts suicide on Christmas eve. His guardian angel swoops in just in time and guides him on the journey of his life, showing him all the lives he has touched along the way. While some parts are very sad, overall it is a very uplifting movie with a strong message that even when we feel the most alone, there are lives out there that are better because we are or were a part of them. It is a film with a few laughs and a few tears but it is sure to leave you with a heartwarming feeling that will carry you through the season.
3. ‘A Christmas Story’ is a classic that keeps coming back every year to add a little extra cheer to the holiday season. It follows the story of a young boy who is a attempting to avoid the school bully and get his ideal Christmas present. This film, I think, is especially relatable because we all know what it is like to wish really hard for something at Christmastime. It is an enduring story that will warm your heart and remind you that your family may be a little off their rocker but that they will always be there no matter what. Oh, and a piece of advice. Don’t stick your tongue to a frozen light post… it will stick.
4. ‘Home Alone’ is my family’s annual holiday movie. We cuddle up on the couch together and share a few laughs. The main character, Kevin McCallister, wishes that he could live alone and the next morning, to his surprise as well as delight, he has the house to himself. Yet being home alone it not all that it is cracked up to be. Two criminal loose in the neighborhood have tagged his house as a big goose. Kevin has no other choice but to defend his house in only the way a child can: with wits and a few lucky coincidences. This tale is rich with Christmas spirit and full of hysterical moments as well. It’s perfect for the whole family or just yourself when you need a little pick me up during finals week.
5. ‘Elf’ is another funny one good for the whole family. The story of a boy separated from his father and raised in the North Pole as an elf is sure draw a few laughs and a few aws. As we follow Buddy the Elf on his quirky journey, we see him touch hearts, find the love of both his dad and a woman as well as inspire others to believe in Santa again. This is a film that I will go back to time and time again because it reminds me that sometimes we have to believe in crazy stories even even when it is only for the benefit of someone we love. Also who doesn’t love Will Farrell as an elf?