Meet Liza Calderon of La Raza!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Say hello to sophomore Liza Calderon! Liza is an RA in Welch this year as well as an active member of the La Raza cultural club. She is one of the most kind-hearted people I have ever met and is never afraid to crack a joke. This girl is sure to light up any room she walks into, so don’t hesitate to say hi!

1. Age/Year: 19 years old; Sophomore

2. Hometown: Seattle, WA

3. Major/Minor: Business Administration, possible international business & finance concentrations

4. Favorite Quote: “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall” ~ Confucius

5. Favorite Show: Rebelde y La Rosa de Guadalupe

6. Dream Job: A dancer or performer

7. Fav Insta Filter: Don’t really have one, I just like the pictures to be bright

8. Favorite pizza: Deep dish from Chicago or Blaze: byo spicy red sauce, grilled chicken, bacon bits, salami, pepperoni, onions, spinach, mushrooms, green peppers, salt & oregano

9. Favorite thing about GU: Through being a part of different groups on campus, I have been able to see different parts of the community that make me feel a part of it. I have found a people on campus (students & faculty) that support me as a student and push me to grow into the best version of myself. 

What is your favorite part about La Raza?

The support I have been able to get through the club. If it weren’t for La Raza I don’t think I would be happy here at GU. I just would not feel a part of the school. Although GU had made positive strides in terms of improving the diversity of its student body, Gonzaga is a pretty “white” school and I sometimes feel different from the other students because of my culture, language, upbringing etcetera. The members of La Raza understand my culture and don’t make me feel excluded. I’ve met members that are in a similar situation as me and understand that being a student at GU is not as easy as it is for some. In the political climate we are in now, I often worry about the fate of some of my family and friends in this country. By being a part of La Raza, I have a built in support system at GU. La Raza has supported me through tough moments and it is comforting to have friends in the club who understand the struggles that are occuring in my life. La Raza is my family and it has a special place in my heart. 

Make sure to say hello and ask Liza any questions you may have about La Raza next time you see her on campus!

Kristen Jost

Gonzaga '19

Kristen is a senior at Gonzaga University studying a communication and promotion. She is a social media coordinator for her chapter as well as an executive board member and founding member. After college, she hopes to travel before settling down to work for a marketing firm that specializes in sports and higher education branding. Her hobbies include: watching sporting events, wandering around book stores, drinking too much coffee, discovering new places, and staying active outdoors.