If You’re Thinking about Changing your Major….

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

I am a planner. I make lists on my computer, sticky notes, and all over my room.  Everything I do in life is thoroughly planned prior. Going into college I had a clear solidified plan, all revolving around one specific major. 

There is an unspoken rule among college students that the major you decide upon as you enter college is the major you must pursue for the rest of your educational career.  However, for some, the major you enter college with might not be the right major for you. 

Entering college, I never foresaw myself changing my major. I mistakenly (and embarrassingly) believed that those who changed their major during their time in school were somewhat confused, lacked drive, and did not have a solidified plan for themselves and their future. Obviously I was wrong.  

In my mind, the only major that suited me was International Business.  Unfortunately, not everything goings according to plan, and after a few failed business courses, I realized I was not meant to pursue an International Business career.  My plan had not gone accordingly and I had to create a new one. 

To say I was ashamed of the decision to change my major is an understatement. I believed if I could not accomplish my goal of achieving an International Business degree and had to change my major, I had failed college. My parents were exceptionally supportive of my decision to change my major, and while they told me that I was “brave” and “evolved as a person” for making such a drastic change, I believed I was a failure for being unable to pursue a career in International Business.  

Here are a few things I had wish someone (who had changed their major) had told me before I chose to change mine.

You are not a failure. Not at all.

College is a place and time in which you are encouraged to grow, step outside of your boundaries and comfort zone, and explore the countless educational and career options offered. Choosing to change your major does not make you a failure in the slightest. In my opinion, from someone who has done it herself, changing your major is exceptionally brave. Changing your major does not mean that you have failed, but that you are setting yourself up for even greater success.  Having the capacity to acknowledge that the major you are currently pursuing is not the right one for you does not make you a failure, but makes you an even more successful student and person! 

You are not the only person who has ever changed their major.

It is not uncommon for students to change their major once, twice, or even three times. College is a time of exploration. It is a time to make mistakes, pick yourself up, recover, and grow. Mistakes are inevitable, and college is the perfect place to make them. The process of changing you major is surprisingly easy as there are staff members and employees at every university dedicated to guiding students to the correct change of major, and they are really understanding!

Changing your major opens the door for new and exciting opportunities!

When you change your major, you have the opportunity to reinvent yourself in some manner. With a change of major, you have the ability to explore new and exciting opportunities within your new major. Now you are able to meet new people and are educated by new professors who are passionate about ensuring that you, as the student, are getting the absolute most out of your major.  There are also new opportunities opened and offered to you that, in any other major, you would not have been exposed to. A new major might even lead you to a new career you are passionate about! 

If you are thinking about changing your major, know you aren’t the only one and keep pursuing what sets your soul on fire! 

"Everyone looks so much better when they smile." -Jimmy Fallon Sophomore Public Realtions major at Gonzaga University