How to Stay Warm on Cold Winter Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

It is officially that time of year. Yep, you probably guessed it, winter!  The beautiful fall leaves have long since changed their colors and fallen to the ground, we are lucky to see the sun, and it’s finally time to break out our huge puffy winter coat! It may be cold, but as a native of Washington state, I love nothing more than getting snow in the winter and having a white Christmas!

As most Zags have already discovered though, Spokane winters can be pretty brutal by west coast standards, so with that in mind, here are a few ways to stay warm on these cold winter days in Spokane: 

Outside

Wear a cute hat

If you don’t have one already, try wearing a knit hat or beanie like these Love Your Melon hats! Not only are these hats a cute addition to any winter outfit, but you are also supporting a great cause! Love Your Melon is dedicated to giving a hat to every child who is battling cancer in America as well as supporting other organizations that fight against pediatric cancer. 

https://www.loveyourmelon.com/pages/ourmission

Break out the parka

Although it is important to cover your extremities (head, hands and feet) it is equally important that you have a warm jacket to wear in cold weather.  Having a versatile winter jacket that can be worn with basically anything in your wardrobe is a must if you want to stay warm during a Spokane winter. Tip ~ the longer the jacket, the warmer you will be! 

Boots & warm socks 

No matter what brand you choose, the key is finding boots that keep your feet nice and warm!  Pairing your winter boots with cute wool socks can also add flare to an otherwise simple or plain winter outfit. 

Scarves

Scarves are one of my favorite accessories and an easy way to add a layer of warmth! 

Gloves (or tea / coffee) 

Gloves may be cute, but I prefer to use my coffee as a hand warmer. 

Layers are key 

Layers, layers, layers! 

Inside 

Blankets

Whether you’re inside studying or just watching Netflix, blankets are super nice for staying both warm and comfy in the winter 

Turn up the heat 

If you have the luxury of being able to turn up the heat in your dorm or apartment, take full advantage! I know I do! 

Welcome to the winter months, collegiettes! I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait for more snow! 

Kristen Jost

Gonzaga '19

Kristen is a senior at Gonzaga University studying a communication and promotion. She is a social media coordinator for her chapter as well as an executive board member and founding member. After college, she hopes to travel before settling down to work for a marketing firm that specializes in sports and higher education branding. Her hobbies include: watching sporting events, wandering around book stores, drinking too much coffee, discovering new places, and staying active outdoors.