alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Easy Prompts for Daily Journaling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Full disclosure: I am not a daily journal-er (yet). I have a ridiculously long Google Doc in which I occasionally type haphazard “journal entries” – usually, a funny moment from the day, something I’m stressed about, or something exciting. As we near the end of the semester, I want to incorporate journaling more regularly: stowing away bits from my days, funny quotes from my friends, and even embarrassing encounters that I would try forget otherwise.

For me, my journaling will most likely continue in my Google Doc, possibly supplemented by a traditional notebook or a sketchpad. Whether you’re a lover of fancy journal covers or more digitally-inclined like myself, the universally difficult aspect of journaling is simply getting started. Recently, I’ve been gathering tips of the trade from one of my closest friends: she’s a hardcore journal-er, and has chronicled each day of her life (even if it amounts to only a few sentences) for nearly two years. One of her biggest pieces of advice is the power of prompts: just a short sentence starter or “fill-in-the-blank” activity to help your thoughts flow.

Below are a few prompts to inspire you, motivate you, and help you pick up the pen and start writing!  

1. Goodness Sandwich

– Something cool that I learned. – Something (or some things…) that I’m frustrated about. – Something (hopefully, some things) that I’m grateful for.

This is my favorite prompt. It’s kind of like when you’re eating a really good sandwich, except there’s a funky tomato in the middle and you’re just like wtf, why is this happening, this would be an exceptional sandwich if this tomato didn’t exist right now. Or when you order a burger and explicitly ask for no pickles, and it tastes awesome until you discover the pickles, and again, wtf.

In both cases, you’d probably remove the tomato/pickles upon discovery. Similarly, with this journaling technique, you’re acknowledging the goodness of the day while getting out those frustrations, making them tangible (and subsequently, resolvable) by putting them on paper.

2. Dear _____ [insert friend, family, etc]

Addressing someone specific can make it easier to open up, allowing you to mentally “talk through” problems or ideas like you would with a close friend, your mom, or another person you trust. You can also show that person the entry or give it to them as a letter, which would certainly be a day-maker.  

3. Accomplishments of Today and Goals for Tomorrow

I usually list 3 of each, and I try to go beyond simply checking things off of my to-do list. I try to include some activities that help develop my relationships or character, such as “reach out to so-and-so” or “listen to understand – not to respond.” Limiting goals to tomorrow makes them manageable, while noting your accomplishments of the day (regardless of how small!) can make an otherwise monotonous day feel like a feat.  

4) No prompt: stream of consciousness

This might seem out-of-place on this list, but there is an implied prompt in this activity: rather than pausing to deliberate how you want to word something, or scratching out an uncomfortable thought, you simply keep going until you feel you’ve said everything you need to say. You can close the journal right then and return to it another day – or, you can immediately go back, read and reflect on what you wrote, and write a follow-up entry. Either way, this is an awesome technique for letting your thoughts flow, and can produce entries that are both comical and insightful.

Feel free to use the same prompt for several days (I certainly do), mix it up, or create your own. The internet is a fabulous resource for prompts – as are your friends, family, and daily surroundings. Be on the look-out for everyday sources of creativity, which can serve as motivation for daily journaling!