Decluttering Your College Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

CLOTHES! Everyone has them, and most of us have too many of them. Having too many clothes in your closet can make it seem cluttered and messy, and chances are you don’t end up wearing them all. Here are a few tips to find those clothes are taking up space in your closet, and ways you can try and sell them!  

Cleaning Out the Clothes: Hang all your hangers backwards. As you grab clothes to wear them, turn the hanger around. After a while, take down all the clothes with backward hangers, go through them and weed out the clothes you don’t see yourself wearing in the next month. Hang the remaining clothes backwards and see if you wear them. If you don’t, maybe it’s time to get rid of them.

Making More Space: Shoes take up so much space! Invest in hanging shoe organizer. It opens the space on the floor of your closet for shelving or boxes that won’t hang as easily. This might take a few inches away from your hangers, but it should help add some organization.

Sorting What’s Worth Selling: Now that you have some clothes to get rid of, go through and make two piles, to sell and to donate. Clothes that are worth selling are in excellent condition, with no stains, tears or very clear signs of wear. Name brands and well-known brands will be more likely to sell. If something has obvious wear, donating it might be your best option. Places like The Arc or Goodwill are great places to donate to. Now that you have your clothes to sell, let’s figure out the best places to sell them.

Places to Sell clothes: There are some places you can sell your clothes in person or online. Plato’s Closet and Finge and Fray are two awesome choice here in Spokane. You bring your clothes in and they will decide which of them they will take and pay you for your clothes. There are also apps for your phone that can help you sell clothes. There are specific apps like Depop that are specifically made for selling clothes. Then there are things like the Facebook Marketplace or craigslist where you can post your clothes for sale in your area.

This whole process might take you some time and energy, but if you are willing to put the effort in, you can clean out your closet, donate some clothes and walk away with some money.