alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Avoid the February Flop: Keeping Your New Year’s Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

This week marks the halfway point of February, and we are more than 30 days into the new year.  How are those resolutions coming?

Most of us have already forgotten them. Gave up, decided it wasn’t that important, missed a day, didn’t make one in the first place, the list goes on. After all, it’s not January anymore. That frenzy of gym memberships, health food purchases, exercise equipment and a variety of vices thrown away is all sputtering to a stop. In fact, February is the most popular time for people to break their New Year’s resolutions. This could be your wake-up call, and your chance to save a goal that’s teetering on the edge of dismissal. Sadly, most of them are probably already well on their way there, if not broken already. But you made that goal for a reason, and if there’s even the tiniest bit of you that wants to uphold it, here are some ways to reignite the flame!

1. Write it down! 

Having your resolution down on paper, and posted somewhere where you’ll see it often is a constant reminder of what you should be doing.

2. Remember why you made that goal! 

For some reason, about a month and a half ago, you made a resolution that you wanted to keep this year. Life changes, and sometimes our opinions do too, but it’s important to keep your eyes on the prize.

3. Set aside time!

Set an alarm, make a reminder, dedicate time in your day to keep yourself on track.

4. Tell a friend!

Or two. Maybe even arrange to see if they can do it with you, depending on what it is. Having other people know is a way for you to be held responsible for that resolution, they’ll get on your case if you try to drop it.

5. Remember that nobody’s perfect. 

Keep at it. Times might get hard, you’ll be busy, you’ll be stressed, but keep trying and keep pushing for that goal. Even if you slip up, it’s not over!

Ultimately, it’s your choice with what you do with the resolution, but utilizing these tips are ways to keep yourself honest and thinking about your goals, especially as we finish up the second month of the year. And if you haven’t made one, it’s never too late!